sense subject & infinitive & for/of + Objective Pronoun/noun

According to the English textbook I read, the below sentence is correct.

EX) For us to study English hard is important.

So I applied the principle that the sense subject of an infinitive can be put in front of the infinitive as "for/of + Objective Pronoun/noun"
And I made a sentence like below:

Of you to humbly accept all the criticism to your son seems generous.
Q) Is that correct to use "of you" in front of the sentence whose subject is an infinitive so that I can say the person who did it?

• owlman5

English-US
    Q) Is that correct to use "of you" in front of the sentence whose subject is an infinitive so that I can say the person who did it?
    No. Here's the normal way to phrase that sentence: It seems generous of you to humbly accept all the criticism about your son. I don't think "generous" makes much sense in the sentence, but there is nothing wrong with the grammar in this version.

e2efour

UK English
    Others may disagree, but I don't find your first sentence natural. I would say For us, studying hard is important if I wanted to change the normal word order of Studying hard is important for us/It is important for us to study hard. (Note that I have not said English hard since I also find this unnatural.)

I would accept your second sentence if you changed Of you to For you.
    Another example (not EX :)) is For him to speak to his mother like that is unacceptable.

Biffo

English - England
    Of you to humbly accept all the criticism to your son seems generous. :cross:
    That is incorrect. This construction requires the use of "for".

For you to humbly accept all the criticism to your son seems generous.:tick:

The template is, "For <noun phrase> <infinitive> <verb phrase> <complement>.

Examples

For me and my classmates to understand Spanish requires the speaker to talk very slowly and clearly.

For you to say that is ridiculous.

For Rocky to be beaten in the fight tomorrow seems unlikely.

Does that make sense?

< Previous | Next >