sensible nose-to-tail butchery

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
Who doesn't love buffalo wings? Nobody. Who doesn't love pig tails? Way too many people! They're cheap, they're incredibly succulent and fatty, and they embody sensible nose-to-tail butchery. The solution, as imagined by Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolo, the genius chef-owners of Animal in Los Angeles, is to treat pig tails as if they were buffalo wings

What HuffPost Food Is Thankful For

This is a piece that collects examples of dishes that illustrate the vibrant food culture in America. The excerpt above is taken from the eighth picture in the slideshow.

I know that something like chicken feet, pig tails, frog legs turn off a lot of people as they are considered gross or a local delicacy that only certain people will like. Does "sensible nose-to-tail butchery" mean some kind of negative connotations?

• suzi br

English / England
    No, I don't think so. (That is ref the concept of it being negative, not what Tazzler said!)

I have seen it used as a factual, even positive comment on the notion that if you are going to kill an animal it is prudent to use all of it.

Last edited:

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thanks Tazzler and suzi. I got led astray by the preceding sentence (Who doesn't love pig tails? Way too many people!). I thought "sensible nose-to-tail butchery"had some negative connotations because I read " cheap, incredibly succulent ,fatty, sensible nose-to-tail butchery." as some of the reasons those people didn't love pigtails.

< Previous | Next >