sensory references that live inside the artist

Cubanboy

Spanish
I'd like to know if ''sensory references'' is used correctly in the following context. It's a translation from Spanish into English:

The strength of the strokes on each piece, linked with precise and powerful combination of colors, allows us to identify his work while conveying a whole network of ''sensory references that live inside the artist''.

Thanks for your help.
Have a great weekend!
Cheers.

Last edited:
  • The Newt

English - US
    It may be okay, but I suspect this one would be better in the Spanish-English forum. I assume the first word in your sentence is "the" rather than "he."

Cubanboy

Spanish
    It may be okay, but I suspect this one would be better in the Spanish-English forum. I assume the first word in your sentence is "the" rather than "he."
    Hi TN. Sorry, I skipped the article in my first sentence. I posted my question here because of this:

convey

Please let me know what you think after reading the above post.

Thanks for you reply.

The Newt

English - US
    Hi TN. Sorry, I skipped the article in my first sentence. I posted my question here because of this:

convey

Please let me know what you think after reading the above post.

Thanks for you reply.
    I don't think "sensory references" is out of the question, but some of our bilingual foreros could confirm that it's the best translation. (But not here because the mods won't allow it. ;))

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Sensory references" is a bit of jargon that I only vaguely understand, but I don't think I understand at all how they can live inside the artist. You enclose the phrase ''sensory references that live inside the artist'' in inverted commas - does this mean that it's a quotation from somewhere?

Have you understood the original text, Cubanboy? It would help if you gave us your own interpretation of this sentence, especially if the general context aids comprehension.

Cubanboy

Spanish
    "Sensory references" is a bit of jargon that I only vaguely understand, but I don't think I understand at all how they can live inside the artist. You enclose the phrase ''sensory references that live inside the artist'' in inverted commas - does this mean that it's a quotation from somewhere?

Have you understood the original text, Cubanboy? It would help if you gave us your own interpretation of this sentence, especially if the general context aids comprehension.

Hi Velisarius. Thanks for your contribution. I finally changed it to ''sensory experiences''. What do you think about it?
    Cheers.

< Previous | Next >