Sentar bien

bowarco

Spanish-Spain.
Buenas tardes. Is it right to say...?

Mudarse a otro país no le sienta bien a todo el mundo.

Moving to another country doesn´t sit well with everybody. It sounds weird to me.

Thank you.

• Amapolas

Castellano rioplatense
    Ayer escuché a un inglés decir "sit right with". La frase era algo como "After 20 years living in this country, there are still some things that don't sit right with me."

sound shift

English - England
    "Something that you agree or are pleased with" is the definition given for "to sit right with" by The Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary and Thesaurus. To my mind, this definition doesn't go with the "moving to another country" of post 1. I agree with Aguas Claras.

Aguas Claras

UK English
    "Something that you agree or are pleased with" is the definition given for "to sit right with" by The Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary and Thesaurus. To my mind, this definition doesn't go with the "moving to another country" of post 1.
    I was wondering about this. I don't really use the expression "to set well with", so I hesitate to comment.

pachanga7

English - US
    Puede que sea por diferencias regionales, pero a mí me suena bien decir "it doesn't sit well with everybody". Personalmente yo voy a decirlo de otro modo, pero la frase no es incorrecta ni rara a mis oidos.

En cuanto a una traducción, tal vez "incomodar" o "no convenir" o "no apetecer".

bowarco

Spanish-Spain.
    Muchísimas gracias. Otra traducciòn en español podría ser.
    No todo el mundo se toma bien tener que mudarse a otro paìs.

Not everybody takes well having to move to another country.

Is it right?

< Previous | Next >