Sentence Clarity--forming the best sentence

< Previous | Next >

EnglishABC

NZ English
a. The burn was utterly unbearable for between ten and fifteen minutes, to the point where/that I couldn't stop shaking and needed to take off my clothes, which revealed some severe, hideous, and third-degree burns.

b. The burn was so utterly unbearable for between ten and fifteen minutes, that I couldn't stop shaking and needed to take off my clothes, which revealed some severe, hideous, and third-degree burns.

c. The burn was utterly unbearable for between ten and fifteen minutes, to the point where/that I couldn't stop shaking and needed to take off my clothes, revealing some severe, hideous, and third-degree burns.

d. The burn was utterly unbearable for between ten and fifteen minutes, to the point where/that I couldn't stop shaking and needed to take off my clothes, only to reveal some severe, hideous, and third-degree burns.

Do you think all are grammatical?
Using all variables, how would you write this sentence?

Have a great day

• WyomingSue

English--USA
    Well, my first reaction was that it is very tiresome to read such a long sentence. I would break it up into two: "The burn was utterly ... minutes. I couldn't ..., revealing/only to reveal ...."

EnglishABC

NZ English
    Thanks to you both.

The sentence is lengthy, but as I think owlman5 will agree the connectors make it flow clearly enough. Maybe splitting it up is a good idea though!

< Previous | Next >