sentence structure---having declined because of reduced ...

Discussion in 'English Only' started by LQZ, Nov 1, 2009.

1. LQZ

LQZ Senior Member

Canada
    Mandarin
    Dear all,

I can understand its meaning, but am confused about its structure. I want to know if I can reword the oringinal this way:

Fossils found in the excavation site at Abric Romani, scientists said, proved that the animal had a greater geographical presence , having declined because of reduced vegetation cover, more than 10,000 years ago than it does today.

Thanks in advance

LQZ

2. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

California
    English - US
    The phrase you have in red describes the animal, not the geographical presence, so cannot be moved where you have put it:
    ... proved that the animal had a greater geographical presence more than 10,000 years ago than it does today, [the animal] having declined because of reduced vegetation cover.
    At least, that seems to be the author's intention. I have some trouble with this however, because it is not the animal that declined but the population of that animal ~ its number. I would favor a revision along the lines of:
    proved that the animal had a greater geographical presence more than 10,000 years ago than it does today, having declined in number because of reduced vegetation cover.

3. LQZ

LQZ Senior Member

Canada
    Mandarin
    Cagey, your are right, thank you. :)