Sentence Transition

< Previous | Next >

Dahkraf

Azerbaijani-Azerbaijan
Hi,
Came across a sentence and had to decide on which one is an appropriate transition.In my opinion the sentence:

Leitmotifs play whenever a particular character is present on the screen,meaning that leitmotifs can provide information not conveyed directly through dialogue.

is fine.However,I was told that it is somewhat flawed and that a better version of this would be "...screen,so they can provide information..."
I'd like to know which one,if any,applies.
Thanks in advance.

• cubaMania

The transition you logically need here is one that indicates purpose (not clarification).
    Leitmotifs play whenever a particular character is present on the screen, in order to provide information not conveyed directly through dialogue.
    Purpose:
    for the purpose of, in the hope that, for fear that, so that,
    with this intention, to the end that, in order to, lest
    with this in mind, in order that, so as to, so,
    Transition Words

Dahkraf

Azerbaijani-Azerbaijan
    The transition you logically need here is one that indicates purpose (not clarification).
    Leitmotifs play whenever a particular character is present on the screen, in order to provide information not conveyed directly through dialogue.

Transition Words
    I see your point,but there were no answer options that fit then.The other two choices were "...screen,and consequently they..." & "...screen;however,leitmotifs..." Are any of these any better?

cubaMania

Well, I thought originally of a purpose transition, but seeing your other alternatives it occurs to me that effect/result can also be logical in the context. I would choose between those depending upon the intended meaning.
    I can't see how either clarification or conflict would produce a meaningful transition.

If you have these four choices...???
    ...meaning that leitmotifs can provide
    ...so they can provide
    ...and consequently they can provide
    ...however leitmotifs can provide
    The first indicates clarification and does not seem a logical choice.
    The second indicates a purpose for playing the leitmotifs and could be a logical choice.
    The third indicates an effect/result and also could be a logical choice.
    The fourth indicates a conflict and does not seem a logical choice.

(It helps when you give us complete context at the beginning. Otherwise we can waste a lot of time going back and forth extracting the context from you, or worse, fail to get an accurate picture of the problem.)

Last edited:

Retired-teacher

British English
    "So they can provide" is better than the first option simply because it is normal in English to avoid using the same word twice in a sentence when it is not necessary.

< Previous | Next >