sentences from an ecological text

sergtab

Russian, Russia
Please, tell me, are these sentences gramatically correct and sounded good?

We inspected wet-meadow, shallow-marsh and steppe, sheep fescue and feather-grass steppe, cereal and leguminous grasses plantcommunities, forest coenosis, non-arable lands , plantations of cereals, grain legumes, potatoes, orchards, grapes, vegetables (in open air and frame area) to detect virus, fungi and nematode infections.

Under the conditions of different regions of Russia in natural and agrocoenosis we inspected more than 40 species and varieties of plants and more than 1400 soil samples.

Disease excitants of bacterial and fungal infections were tested both visually and in laboratory; viruses were detected by ELISA and PCR, fungi and bacteria-- in moist chamber and by passages into Petri dishes with different mediums.

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    The only changes I would suggest are the following:

in moist chamber and by passages into Petri dishes with different mediums.
    in moist chamber and by placement into Petri dishes with different media.

Otherwise, your English is excellent, if a bit formal. But I guess that's what's expected in the type of document you're writing.

Please, tell me, are these sentences grammatically correct and sounded good?

We inspected wet-meadow, shallow-marsh, steppe, sheep fescue, and feather-grass steppe. We also inspected cereal and leguminous grasses plantcommunities, forest coenosis, non-arable lands, and plantations of cereals. Finally, we inspected grain legumes, potatoes, orchards, grapes, vegetables (in open air and frame area). The purpose was to detect virus, fungi and nematode infections. Whoa! This sentence can be split into three. We inspected...(list A). We also inspected...(list B). I added even a list C! The purpose was to detect...

Under the conditions of different regions of Russia in natural and agrocoenosis, we inspected more than 40 species and varieties of plants and more than 1400 soil samples. in natural and agrocoenosis what?

Disease excitants (I don't think excitants would be a word used...if it is...go for it! I'm not a biologist or ecologist.) of bacterial and fungal infections were tested both visually and in laboratory. Viruses were detected by ELISA and PCR (how does PCR detect a virus? Isn't it a polymerase chain reaction, which makes more polymers? If PCR isn't Polymerase Chain Reaction, I'd write it out, especially in biological and ecological circles where the reaction is very common. If it does detect a virus, use it!). Fungi and bacteria were collected(?) in a moist chamber and detected(?) by passages(not sure if this word should be used... being placed maybe?) into Petri dishes with different media.

sergtab

Russian, Russia
    caballoschica, thank you.
    Under the conditions of different regions of Russia in natural and agrocoenosis, we inspected more than 40 species and varieties of plants and more than 1400 soil samples. in natural and agrocoenosis what?

We inspencted species and varieties in natural and agrocoenosis. Shoul I correct something in the initial sentence?

is agrocoenosis a condition? If so, I would correct the sentence to:

We inspected more than 40 species (of insects, animals, plants, birds?) and varieties of plants in both natural and agrocoenosis conditions in different regions of Russia. From those areas, we also collected and inspected more than 1400 soil samples.

pyan

English, UK, London
    As sheep fescue is one type of grass, and "feather-grass" is another I think you could remove the comma between them. If "sheep fescue steppe" is one type of steppe, and "feather grass steppe" is another, I would use the full term "xxx steppe" and definitely leave out the comma.

Hope this helps - and look forward to seeing the analysis and results appear on the forum.