Sentences with "give" at the beginning

Annakrutitskaya

Russian
Hello!

I would be grateful for your opinion on the way I use the word "give" at the beginning of a sentence:

Given their knowledge in the matter, I would advice contacting them.

Given the diversity of tasks, these responsibilities demand the ability to work with multiple files…

Thank you!

• pines222

English - USA
    This usage of "given" is appropriate in both sentences.

"Given" is a special word in this usage. It is not a form of "to give," but a preposition.

shop-englishx

Banned
    Urdu
    Hi, native friends!

I would like to ask that what's the meaning of "given" in the above examples (OP)?

Given their knowledge in the matter, I would advice contacting them.

Given the diversity of tasks, these responsibilities demand the ability to work with multiple files…

Thanks in advance!

Andygc

British English
    Actually, the Wordreference dictionary is really unhelpful when looking for an answer to this question. Try Oxford online
    preposition
    Taking into account:
    given the complexity of the task, they did a good job

shop-englishx

Banned
    Urdu
    I've looked this (given) up in CALD too.. I have a confusion, please enlighten me on this:

Given his age, he's a remarkably fast runner.= Taking into account his age, he's a remarkably fast runner.
    Given that he's had six months to do this, he hasn't made much progress. = (Taking into account/considering/knowing about he's had six months to do this, he hasn't made much progress.) :confused::confused:

The meaning of the second sentence is not clear.... Please clarify this.

Also, what's the role of "that" (marked RED) in the second sentence? Can I remove this "that" from it? Why is the 1st sentence NOT using "that" after "given"?

Thank you!!

Andygc

British English
    You need to replace only the word whose definition you are applying.

Given that he's had six months to do this, he hasn't made much progress.
    Taking into account that he's had six months to do this, he hasn't made much progress.

That has its usual function in such sentences, referring to a following statement:
    Taking into account that he's had six months to do this, he hasn't made much progress.
    Taking into account the fact that he's had six months to do this, he hasn't made much progress.

There's no statement following "given" here, so no "that":
    Given his age, he's a remarkably fast runner.
    Given that his age is only 10, he's a remarkably fast runner.

< Previous | Next >