sentimental money

raffavita

italian
Ciao a tutti,
rieccomi qui.
;)
I really, really don't know how to translate this expression.
Here is the context:

A man enters a bar and talks to the bartender:

"Hi Joe. Any news?"

Bartender: "Got a pool starting on the Iditarod." (provided that I get who's the subject of "got"). You want in?"
Customer: "Who do you like?"
Bartender: "I'm leaning toward this young guy XXX. An Aleut. Sentimental money is this Canadian, YYY... The dogs, you know. A fellow from here bred his dogs."

??? "Sul canadese, un certo YYY, hanno puntato per affetto"??
Mamma mia.
Grazie in anticipo.
:):)

• pescara

English-USA
    Ciao a tutti,
    rieccomi qui.
    ;)
    I really, really don't know how to translate this expression.
    Here is the context:

A man enters a bar and talks to the bartender:

"Hi Joe. Any news?"

Bartender: "Got a pool starting on the Iditarod." (provided that I get who's the subject of "got"). You want in?"
    Customer: "Who do you like?"
    Bartender: "I'm leaning toward this young guy XXX. An Aleut. Sentimental money is this Canadian, YYY... The dogs, you know. A fellow from here bred his dogs."

??? "Sul canadese, un certo YYY, hanno puntato per affetto"??
    Mamma mia.
    Grazie in anticipo.
    :):)
    I think you have interpreted it correctly. In this context, "sentimental money" means that people have bet on the Canadian because they like the fact that his dogs were bred by a local person. The opposite of "sentimental money" would be "smart money." So, someone might say "the sentimental money is on the Canadian because someone from here bred his dogs, but the smart money is on the Alaskan because his dogs are the fastest."

Chiaro?

Ciao.

raffavita

italian
    I think you have interpreted it correctly. In this context, "sentimental money" means that people have bet on the Canadian because they like the fact that his dogs were bred by a local person. The opposite of "sentimental money" would be "smart money." So, someone might say "the sentimental money is on the Canadian because someone from here bred his dogs, but the smart money is on the Alaskan money because his dogs are the fastest."

Chiaro?

Ciao.
    Chiarissimo!!
    Ti piace la traduzione che ho dato?
    Va un po' sistemata, però, in linea di massima ci siamo, giusto?
    Grazie mille.
    :):):)

< Previous | Next >