Sería afinar demasiado

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Manolo_del_bombo, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Manolo_del_bombo Member

Barcelona
    Native Spanish-Spain / Native Galician
    Good evening!

I would like to come up with a translation that conveys the same meaning, here goes the sentence:

Puedo decirte que son de UK por el acento, eso sí, saber de qué zona concreta sería afinar demasiado!

I reckon that the context is clear, 'afinar demasiado' in this case would mean to achieve a high degree of perfection when it comes to deduce where the person at hand comes from.

My try:

I can tell you they are from the UK because of their accent, mind you, knowing the exact region they are from would be passing with flying colours.

I was wondering if I could use a similar expression with tune, maybe?

Many thanks!

2. Ferrol Senior Member

Bilbao
    Spanish.España
    ....would be asking too much

3. The Newt

The Newt Senior Member

USA / EEUU
    English - US
    "K
    Yes.

"Passing with flying colours" wouldn't really work, I'm afraid.

4. Cos Miami Senior Member

Miami, FL
    Spanish - Spain
    -too much fine-tuning
    -crazy fine-tuning

5. The Newt

The Newt Senior Member

USA / EEUU
    English - US
    "(Too) fine-grained" has become a common cliché.

6. Manolo_del_bombo Member

Barcelona
    Native Spanish-Spain / Native Galician
    Thank you for all your answers! As always you've been really helpful!
    I like specially the last two options with a preference for 'to fine-tune', when I say this sentence embedded in the context I mentioned, the first thing that comes to mind is when I try to tune in to a specific radio station but because I am in a area of bad coverage I need to turn the dial really slowly so I can get the proper station on! Checking the meaning on WR this is exactly what means I do not know if you agree!

@The Newt: Thank your for the comment, in Spanish in my opinion that would certainly work: Eso sería de matrícula, alluding to acing a test, getting all the answers right...Although yeah, sort of a free translation.

Many thanks!