Ser Conjugated As Fui?

fabio28

america english
hello everyone!!!
i know that you can conjugate the verb "ser" into "fui" to mean i was but i am confused because i thought the verb ser describes someones essence. so please provide examples on when you use fui, as i was, vs. using era or estuve. also, how would you recomend a new spanish speaker identify the differnce between fui ( conjugated from ser) & fui (conjugated from ir) when it is read or someone speaks it to a new speaker? Thanks!!!

• VenusEnvy

English, United States
    fabio28 said:
    i know that you can conjugate the verb "ser" into "fui" to mean i was but i am confused because i thought the verb ser describes someones essence. so please provide examples on when you use fui, as i was, vs. using era or estuve.

Cuando era joven, iba a casa de mi abuela.
    When I was young, I would go to my grandmom's house.
    (I was young: this is my essence. It can't change.)

¡Algo me mordío anoche! ¡Fue un perro!
    Something bit me last night! It was a dog!
    (It was a dog, you can't change what he is. This would be essence.)

Este mañana cuando estuve al banco, la mujer me dijo que pagara mi cuenta muy pronto.
    This morning when I was at the bank, the woman told me to pay my bill very soon.
    (Where I was doesn't talk about my essence. It talks about where I was located for a period of time.)

fabio28 said:
    also, how would you recomend a new spanish speaker identify the differnce between fui ( conjugated from ser) & fui (conjugated from ir) when it is read or someone speaks it to a new speaker? Thanks!!!
    You just have to pay close attention to context, context, context!

Ayer, fui al supermarcado.
    Yesterday, I went to the supermarket.
    (clearly, you can't BE the supermarket)

Lunes pasado, se fue la casa.
    Last Monday, he left the house.
    (again, "to be" clearly wouldn't work here)

Año pasado, fui una mujer policía, pero ahora soy una profesora.
    Last year, I was a policewoman, but now I am a teacher.
    (You can't "go" a policewoman. Therefore, I know to translate it as "to be")

I hope I have helped. I am sure there are other more qualified people here you can better elaborate.
    Good luck though! :p

manuycacu

Argentina - Spanish
    VE, I hope you don't mind some corrections to your Spanish:

VenusEnvy said:
    EL lunes pasado, se fue DE la casa.
    Last Monday, he left the house.
    (again, "to be" clearly wouldn't work here)

EL Año pasado, fui policía, pero ahora soy profesora.
    Last year, I was a policewoman, but now I am a teacher.
    (You can't "go" a policewoman. Therefore, I know to translate it as "to be")

manuycacu

Argentina - Spanish
    fabio28 said:
    i know that you can conjugate the verb "ser" into "fui" to mean i was but i am confused because i thought the verb ser describes someones essence. so please provide examples on when you use fui, as i was, vs. using era or estuve.

Some examples:
    Fui muy injusta con vos, te pido perdon

Fui muy dura, me arrepiento de haberte tratado asi

Me gustan mucho los cambios: fui morocha, rubia y ahora soy pelirroja.

Maeron

Canada, English
    There's this song by Pedro Infante...

Si te vienen a contar cositas malas de mí
    Manda a todos a volar y díles que yo no fuí.

Yo te aseguro que yo no fuí
    Son puros cuentos de por ahí
    Tú me tienes que creer a mi
    Yo te lo juro que yo no fuí.

Todos me dicen por ahí
    Que tienes cara de yo no fuí
    Y a tí te dicen el yo lo ví
    Tú me tienes que creer a mí.

Ay! mamá que yo no fuí
    [Yo te aseguro que yo no fuí]
    Míra muchacha que yo no fuí
    Tú tienes cara de pirulí
    Míra chaparra que yo no fuí
    [Yo te aseguro que yo no fuí].

Yo te aseguro que yo no fuí
    Son puros cuentos de por ahí
    Tú me tienes que creer a mí
    Yo te lo juro que yo no fuí.

Todos me dicen por ahí

Ay! mamá que yo no fuí
    Míra mi negra que yo no fuí
    Míra chaparra que yo no fuí
    A tí te dicen el yo lo ví
    [Yo te aseguro que yo no fuí].

Todos me dicen por ahí

No, no! No, no!
    Yo no fuí!

VenusEnvy

English, United States
    Manu: Mi libro me dice que se debe decir "la mujer policía" para una mujer. Es lo mismo (según mi libro) para "la mujer soldado". ¿Qué piensas?

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    fabio28 said:
    hello everyone!!!
    i know that you can conjugate the verb "ser" into "fui" to mean i was but i am confused because i thought the verb ser describes someones essence. so please provide examples on when you use fui, as i was, vs. using era or estuve. also, how would you recomend a new spanish speaker identify the differnce between fui ( conjugated from ser) & fui (conjugated from ir) when it is read or someone speaks it to a new speaker? Thanks!!!

Hi Fabio :p !!! The difference between "fui" as the past of "ir" and "fui" as the past of "ser" :arrow:

Yo fui a la casa de mi madre :arrow: you must use the preposition "a" that indicates direction

Yo fui muy tonta en esa ocasión, al confiar en ese vendedor.
    :arrow: no preposition indicating direction and as you can see an adjective or an adverb can follow this "fui"

Yo fui sola a la casa de mi madre / Yo fui a la casa de mi madre sola :arrow: in the first sentence you don't have the preposition "a" inmediately after the "fui" but you have it in the sentence so this is a signal that this "fui" is the past tense of "ir".

Yo era muy tranquila antes de llegar aquì. :arrow: era= I used to be

Yo fui muy grosera en aquella discusiòn.
    :arrow: fui= at that moment but I didn't use to be like that, just in one occasion.

Hope this helps, Fabio!!! :thumbsup: :p ;)

fabio28

america english
    artrella, i thought that when you discuss a temporary state you use estar & in your example, " yo fui muy grosera en aquella discusion" if that is describing a tempory state why wouldnt you use yo estuve from the verb estar?

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    fabio28 said:
    artrella, i thought that when you discuss a temporary state you use estar & in your example, " yo fui muy grosera en aquella discusion" if that is describing a tempory state why wouldnt you use yo estuve from the verb estar?

No, because it is describing something that is essential, inherent to your personality.

You can say " Yo estuve muy enojada en aquella ocasiòn" :arrow: this is temporal, as you said, but being angry is not inherent or essential to your personality, it's something external, I mean something external caused that you get angry.

I'll try to find a link for you that explains this. Now I'm not at home, I'm on holidays so I haven't got all my dictionaries and helping stuff. Let me see if I can find it here.

Bye Fabio!! :)

manuycacu

Argentina - Spanish
    VenusEnvy said:
    Manu: Mi libro me dice que se debe decir "la mujer policía" para una mujer. Es lo mismo (según mi libro) para "la mujer soldado". ¿Qué piensas?
    It's right but it can be rather redundant when it is a woman who speaks; it's obvious that, if you are a woman, you could have never been a policeMAN, so you can just say "fui policia" and everybody will understand that you were a "mujer policia". I hope I'm not being too confusing!!

Antartic

Chile
    Si quieres una estricta diferenciacion de genero, no queda otra alternativa que usar la mujer policía, porque la policía se refiere a la institución. Debido a que policia utiliza articulo masculino, esta es la salida mas feliz para esta situacion, a no ser que inventemos un nombre especifico para las mujeres policías.
    En el caso de soldado es mas facil, porque lleva articulo plural, por ende para referirse a un mujer se dice la soldado, una soldado.

Eustache

Costa Rica
    VenusEnvy said:

If you are a woman and you say "soy policia", of course all the people will undersand you, you don't need to say soy una mujer policia.

because the article "la" or "una" give you the sex of the noun.

I mean:

el policia = the policeman
    la policia = the police or the policewoman

and you can distinguish between the police or the policewoman by the context.