ser/estar refrescante

LoneCavalier

Polish-Poland
Hola

¿Me podrían ayudar con problema de dos significados de "ser / estoy refrescante" en dos contextos diferentes?

El gazpacho es una sopa que se toma en verano por ser muy refrescante = el gazpacho is fresh y por lo que lo tomo

El gazpacho es una sopa que se toma en verano para estoy muy refrescante = tomo el gazpacho because I would like/want to be fresh

Saludos

• Elixabete

Basque
    Hola

¿Me podrían ayudar con problema de dos significados de "ser / estoy refrescante" en dos contextos diferentes?
    El gazpacho es una sopa que se toma en verano por ser muy refrescante = el gazpacho is refreshing y por lo que lo tomo/ gazpacho is a soup that's drunk/ that people drink in summer because it's very refreshing.

El gazpacho es una sopa que se toma en verano para estoy muy refrescante:cross:/ para refrescarse :tick:= tomo gazpacho because I would like/want to (refresh myself/ cool down) / gazpacho is drunk in summer to (refresh oneself/ cool down).

Last edited:

fenixpollo

American English
    For the second sentence, I think you wanted to say "so that I can be cool" or something like that? The phrase "so I can be fresh" doesn't sound natural to me if you're referring to your perceived temperature. For me, "fresh" means "well-rested" or "flirtatious" when referring to a person, depending on the context.

You also wouldn't use "refrescante" for a person, just like in English you wouldn't say that a person is "refreshing".

If you wanted to say that a person "feels refreshed", you would say it like Elixabete suggests. You could use a construction with the adjective "refrescado" as well, although it would be less common.

Robbie168

Spanish, English - US & UK
    If the original sentence is referring to oneself I would say it sounds forced. It'd sound more natural if the sentence were referring to a third person, as offering an explanation on why having gazpacho would be a good idea for a hot summer for anyone who would want to feel refreshed.

Trying also to maintain the original idea we could say perhaps..."para sentirme refrescado / para estar refrescado".

Elixabete

Basque
    I agree the original sentence is very forced , the first example o " comemos gazpacho en verano porque es refrescante" are more natural. The options,"...para sentirme refrescado/para estar refrescado..." sound really odd. " En verano {se toma/ tomamos/ tomo} gazpacho para {refrescarse/ refrescarnos/refrescarme} / combatir el calor.
    I think the OP has made up the examples himself ( or is translating from Polish and uses English as a "bridge" language), so we should tell him that his first sentence is ok but the second one is wrong, " para estoy muy refrescante " is not Spanish and our other attempts at salvaging the structure or the idea behind are rather pointless, we don't say anything like that and that's it.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >