Serbia and Milosevic

< Previous | Next >

Qomi

Turkland/Turkish
Hi,
The following question is from a nation-wide examination. The suggested answer is D, but I couldn't understand what makes A incorrect? Can you explain it, please?

---- because he had led the country into four wars which he had lost, and brought economic ruin to his people.

A) Serbia experienced widespread corruption under Milosevic, who ruled the country as a dictator,
B) Many Serbians felt humiliated by the atrocities commited in Bosnia by the Milosevic government
C) Milosevic’s rule in Serbia literally meant political tyranny, which led to pro-democracy protests in the country,
D) Milosevic, the ex-president of Serbia, was protested nationwide and then removed from power
E) Today Serbia’s writers constantly remind their people of the shameful past of their country under Milosevic

• divisortheory

United States, English
    The reason is that because introduces a direct causal relationship. Whatever comes first must be a direct result of the second half of the sentence. But if you think about the scenario here, why would leading a country into a losing war cause corruption?

The reasons for the corruption probably had nothing to do with the wars.

Now, if the sentence had used the word unrest instead of corruption, we might have a different story. Citizens can definitely become unhappy due to the situations described in the second half of the sentence, and that would very likely cause widespread unrest.

Qomi

Turkland/Turkish
    Thank you divisortheory. I think I misunderstood the meaning of 'corruption'.

< Previous | Next >