Serbian/Croatian (BCS): to do homework

< Previous | Next >

kloie

English
How would i say To do homework
I have to come straight home afterschool in order to do my homework for my math class.
thanks in advance

• Brainiac

Srpski - Kosovo
    Serbian:
    To do homework - raditi domaći zadatak (or just raditi domaći)

Moram pravo kući posle škole da bih uradila domaći zadatak iz matematike.

itreius

Assembly
    Napraviti domaću zadaću.

Moram ravno doma poslije škole da napravim domaću zadaću iz matematike.

Edit: Of course, the Serbian register will be understood just fine but it will be definitely marked from the perspective of those from Croatia. Some in Croatia would use uraditi instead of napraviti, but I don't think anyone would use pravo or domaći zadatak.

Last edited:

Brainiac

Srpski - Kosovo
    Hehe..I was thinking how to say it in Croatian. I knew for domaću zadaću, but I didn't know which verb to use.

Napraviti domaći zadatak....čudno zvuči na srpskom. Može: Napraviti domaću tortu :D

P.S. In Serbian, raditi or even better - uraditi domaći zadatak/domaće zadatke (or just domaći, as I said)

kloie

English
    and for pravo and ravno could i use odmah?
    on a website i say napisati for uraditi,raditi and napraviti.

Brainiac

Srpski - Kosovo
    Can i say
    I have a lot of homework
    Imam puno domace zadace
    Imam puno domaceg zadatka?
    Imam puno domaćih zadataka (da uradim). (The Genitive case - I have lots of - what?)
    Imam neke domaće zadatke da uradim. (The Accusative case - I have to do - what? Some tasks to complete at home)

domaceg zadatka is singular, so it can't go with puno, because puno is for plural (lots of, a lot of).

and for pravo and ravno could i use odmah?
    on a website i say napisati for uraditi,raditi and napraviti.
    Pravo kući* - straight home, like in English, shows ... again direction.
    Odmah kući is I have to go home right now. (stresses time dimension)

* kući (dativ) is from kuća (house), but it means home as well. I live in a flat, but I always say - Idem kući :)

napraviti is to make. I don't know why Croatians say "to make homework" , I have to ask them :).
    In Serbian it would mean something like "compose homework" for someone else to do it, not you to do it, or "to make some homework to do" , to give some tasks to be done (to someone) as homework

raditi - to do something
    uraditi - to finish (doing) something, to make it done, to be done

Radim domaći - I'm doing my homework, or I do my homework
    Uradila sam domaći (finished action) - I've done my homework

Last edited:

Brainiac

Srpski - Kosovo
    Yes, you can say Napisati domaći zadatak, but that would mean - homework like a written task.
    You mentioned mathematics, for instance, so it's better to say - uraditi domaći zadatak (do homework, any kind of homework).

VelikiMag

Serbian - Montenegro
    domaceg zadatka is singular, so it can't go with puno, because puno is for plural (lots of, a lot of).
    Puno can go with singular too, but those nouns have abstract meanings, e.g. sreća, zdravlje, uspeh, posao etc. Also, uncountable nouns like voda, zemlja, šećer, drvo in some of their meanings.

As for "a lot of homework", I would say: Imam puno za domaći.
    Puno domaćih zadataka sounds clumsy. It should be puno zadataka za domaći. Or just puno domaćeg.

Brainiac

Srpski - Kosovo
    I agree.
    puno - in her example
    Puno domaćih zadataka -> better: Puno zadataka za domaći - a lot of problems to solve (like deset zadataka, pedeset zadataka iz matematike) - Many tasks to do (when I get home).

Thank you.

Last edited:

Duya

Whatever
    Napraviti domaću zadaću.

Moram ravno doma poslije škole da napravim domaću zadaću iz matematike.
    Uh, stvarno ne bih ovde očekivao napraviti. U Bosni bismo rekli uraditi ili napisati zadaću.

Rekao bih da u razgovornom hrvatskom glagol napraviti eksploatišete preko svake mere; ako tako nastavite, uskoro će vam postati jedini glagol... :D

Tassos

Because napraviti is perfective, should we use it for "straight" present or it would be better to choose its imperfective partner (who by the way I haven't managed to discover - praviti maybe ?)
    So instead of
    Napravim domaću zadaću.

we should say
    Pravim domaću zadaću.
    to give the idea that I am doing my homework right now???

Duya

Whatever
    A Croatian forero will tell you better, but my impression is that the usage is supletive -- napraviti is chiefly used for past and complete events, and raditi for progressive aspect. Also, I think the feature stems from Zagreb/kajkavian area, but since this is a prestige dialects, those have tendency to spread across Croatia. Thus, the dialogue will go along the lines of:

- Što radiš?
    - Radim zadaću.
    - Mislio sam da si je već napravio.

itreius

Assembly
    Both pišem zadaću and radim zadaću would be fine, with the first also being equally good in OP's initial request (da napišem zadaću) except I didn't think of it at the time. To me the napisati form actually sounds the least regionally marked. Napraviti is probably more common in the north (where we don't have uraditi in our regional speeches so it influences the Štokavian we speak), but it's often used by others as well and it seems to permeate into contexts where there are probably "better" options available.

< Previous | Next >