Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian (BCS): ne sme se

Emmanon82

Ukraine;Ukrainian and Russian
Is there any difference between :"ne sme se","nemoj","ne(cini nesto)"?Are some of these words/expressions more formal or spoken?

Thank you,it`s very important for me.

• Duya

Whatever
    "ne sme se" is a general statement of fact, without direct imperative meaning: approximately, it means "one does not" or "one may not". Of course, it does have prohibiting connotations if used in direct speech: when you tell someone "One does not smoke here", well, it implies that he should distinguish the cigarette immediately (i.e. in a more polite manner than "don't")

"nemoj" is a simple imperative: "don't"

"ne čini to" ("don't do that") is close to "nemoj".

Emmanon82

Ukraine;Ukrainian and Russian
    Thank you. Now it`s more clear to me, but I have the other problem.
    Does anyone know how to translate correctly Ukr "не смій!" ( Russ."не смей!") ?

Duya

Whatever
    Well, I don't speak Russian or Ukrainian very well, but, I'd venture a guess that you want:

"Da se nisi usudio!"

which closely resembles "Don't you dare!" in English, i.e. it has undertones of a threat.

Athaulf

Croatian/Bosnia, Croatia
    One thing.. I don't know for the Serbian correctly, but in Croatian it is 'nesmije se' :cross: !;)

The negation particle is actually spelled separately: ne smije se. I'm pointing this out because it's a very frequent error (this is one of the more badly designed features of Croatian spelling).