Serbian: troška i gubitaka

harakiri

Japanese
I'm not sure why mixed up singular and plural in the following sentence.
Ta buna u Srbiji zadavala je s vremenom sve više brige i nezgode, štete, troška i gubitaka celoj turskoj Bosni pa i Travniku, (травничка хроника)

troška = singular, genitive
gubitaka = plural, genitive
Only troška is singular here.
It seems that we can find the same way of writing even over the Internet.

(3) Korekcija iz stava 1 alineja dva ovog člana utvrđuje se kao razlika troška gubitaka operatora distributivnog sistema izračunatog primjenom stope gubitaka utvrđene ažuriranom studijom gubitaka u distributivnom sistemu i troška gubitaka izračunatog primjenom stope utvrđene odlukama Agencije za predmetne godine, na ostvarene količine električne energije.

• iezik

Slovenian
    The same sentence is also seen with "troškova i gubitaka" at knjizara.com, what I would take as normalised text. I also see the version mentioned here "troška i gubitaka". I don't have any paper edition of the text, so I don't know what Andrić initially wrote.
    The text (3) appears to be incorrect, I would use plural "troškova gubitaka" at both places as google testifies in its results.
    For Andrić's text, I would assume either
    1) typing mistake or
    2) aligning the number to the former word , so that both "troška" and "štete" are singular.

For Andrić's text, I would assume either
    1) typing mistake or
    2) aligning the number to the former word , so that both "troška" and "štete" are singular.

I would say 2)

btw "troška" (nominative, singular) is a slang word meaning "a crumb" or "a breadcrumb" in some parts of Serbia. The standard form would be "mrva" or "mrvica".

thegreathoo

Srpski
    There is no particular reason. It's just a matter of speech, an artistic choice. I presume to cap the counting off with the plural. By the way, everything is singular except the very last item, gubitaka, which is plural.

There is no particular reason.
    Yes, but which one sounds best to you:

1) ... sve više brige i nezgode, štete, troška i gubitka celoj turskoj Bosni
    2) ... sve više brige i nezgode, štete, troškova i gubitaka celoj turskoj Bosni
    3)... sve više brige i nezgode, štete, troška i gubitaka celoj turskoj Bosni
    4) ... sve više brige i nezgode, štete, troškova i gubitka celoj turskoj Bosni

I would say 2)

Far being from me to correct Ivo Andrić.

Last edited:

harakiri

Japanese
    I didn't reply in time. Sorry.
    Andric didn't make the mistake. It was a mistake of one pdf file over the Internet.
    I found 2 versions of pdf, and the latter one lately I found, shows us "troškova".
    Hvala vam!