Serbo-Croatian, Bosnian : ti

harakiri

Japanese
I taman ti on počeo da zaspiva, kadli naiđe kamion pun kukuruza - voze ga iz Srbije za Crnu Goru. Šofer svira, svira, a naš čova ni repom da mrdne.

How should we understand "ti" in this sentence?

• harakiri

Japanese
    To understand this, I've searched similar phrases with the keyword "tamam ti".

Oh, majko, taman ti je. - Oh, Mother, it's exactly right to you.
    Taman ti pristaje. - Just it suits to you.
    Taman ti ih je maila. - Just he mailed them to you.
    Udaću se za tebe, taman te delila sa hiljadu Bogova. - Just when I shared you from thousands of gods, I was going to marry you.

In these, we can translate "ti". (Did I translate these correctly? I hope so.)
    On the other hand, in Bulatovic's writing, it seems better if omitting "ti" for understanding...

Zec

Croatian
    This is the so-called "ethical dative". It's function is completely pragmatic (I think it serves to draw the listener's attention, and to make him feel included: it's primarily used in conversation), and you're right that it has to be ignored for correct understanding.

harakiri

Japanese
    This is the so-called "ethical dative". It's function is completely pragmatic (I think it serves to draw the listener's attention, and to make him feel included: it's primarily used in conversation), and you're right that it has to be ignored for correct understanding.

Hvala!

Quite interesting... In our language, we don't have any "ethical dative". Instead we tend to say "Hey", "Are you listening?", etc. In writing, let me see... We can use some specific terms such as "ovaj" to say "in that term (which you know)". This word makes us feel as if we had somehow shared such a moment. A kinda general technique in novel writing.