Serbo-Croatian: ne bih ni išao da smijem

Deseret13

Slovenian
- Ništa ne govori (na skupu), molim te, ništa! Obećaj mi.
- Ma neću, šta imam da govorim. Ne bih ni išao (na skup) da smijem.

Ne bih ni išao da smijem: "I wouldn't go if I was allowed not to." ili "I wouldn't go if I dared not to."?

Last edited:
  • thegreathoo

Srpski
    The statement "da smijem" is not a negation.

I wouldn't even go if I was allowed not to. (speak, or say something)

Deseret13

Slovenian
    Mišljeno je bilo: ne bih išao da smijem ne ići/da ne idem. Because the speaker did attend the gathering (which was to take place a few hours after this conversation), but he wouldn't if he had the guts or if he was allowed not to attend it, which is what I would like to learn here. It's a bit confusing.

P.S: to correct the above sentences: "I wouldn't go if I was allowed not to GO." ili "I wouldn't go if I dared not to GO."?

Last edited:

Zec

Croatian
    They way I understood this, he was obliged to attend the gathering. So, I'd take the first sentence.

thegreathoo

Srpski
    P.S: to correct the above sentences: "I wouldn't go if I was allowed not to GO." ili "I wouldn't go if I dared not to GO."?

That's not how I understand it. My understanding is that he is referring to "speaking," not to "going." He would NOT go to the gathering if he was allowed to speak because I suppose he knows he would speak if he was allowed to.. Luckily he won't be allowed to speak, so his friend has nothing to worry about. Otherwise "smijem" is a poor choice of words It sounds strange. The sentence should be: Ne bih ni isao da "ne moram."