serenade

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
Hello everybody.
what does it mean when we say he serenaded his girlfriend.

I assume it means singing song to someone you love.

Can we use it for more general uses? Is it especially used for someone we love? How about impressing a girl/boy we don't love that much or we just met?

Thank you in advance

• cath_reen

English - USA
    Yes, the sense you have is correct. We use serenade very much in the sense of singing to someone you love, or to anyone in the sense of a song as a gift. The classic image is the man standing outdoors with the woman at the window listening, but if someone "serenades" me, they are doing so specifically to impress me or delight me.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I disagree that it has such a limited application. Yes, it can be used to describe someone singing a romantic song to their loved one. But it also applies to other vocal/instrumental music performed outdoors at night. It is sometimes humorously used to refer to the yowling of cats outdoors in the middle of the night.

Vinnie flores

California - Spanish & English
    It a
    I disagree that it has such a limited application. Yes, it can be used to describe someone singing a romantic song to their loved one. But it also applies to other vocal/instrumental music performed outdoors at night. It is sometimes humorously used to refer to the yowling of cats outdoors in the middle of the night.
    And it also means to entertain ( someone ) with a serenade
    Eg.
    The rockstar serenades the audience.

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    Thanks everyone for your kind help:)
    Cath_reen Do you mean we can do it as a gift to anyone?
    let's say I met a girl 3 days ago there's no love between us, one day we go out and I decide to impress her by singing and playing guitar. Can I say I serenaded her?

cath_reen

English - USA
    Thanks everyone for your kind help:)
    Cath_reen Do you mean we can do it as a gift to anyone?
    let's say I met a girl 3 days ago there's no love between us, one day we go out and I decide to impress her by singing and playing guitar. Can I say I serenaded her?

Yes, you can say you serenaded her. The sense is to do it as a way of giving delight to that person. It means to sing to someone, but the connotation is very positive and intimate. It does NOT have to mean that you are in love with the person. I agree with what others say, that "the rocker serenades the audience", but when someone uses the word like that, they are implying that the rocker did so in a way that felt sweet and intimate, or that there there felt like there was a very personal, intimate connection between the rocker and the audience.

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    Th
    Yes, you can say you serenaded her. The sense is to do it as a way of giving delight to that person. It means to sing to someone, but the connotation is very positive and intimate. It does NOT have to mean that you are in love with the person. I agree with what others say, that "the rocker serenades the audience", but when someone uses the word like that, they are implying that the rocker did so in a way that felt sweet and intimate, or that there there felt like there was a very personal, intimate connection between the rocker and the audience.
    Thank you very much. And everyone who helped me:)

< Previous | Next >