serve no purpose..

rabz12

Urdu
I was wondering if I'm using this idiom 'serve the purpose' correctly in sentence. 'Please send me your experience certificate, but do not send your educational documents as they will serve no purpose'(we don't need your educational certificates to assess you)

Thanks in advance

• boozer

Bulgarian
    Well, if someone wrote that to me, I would understand it, no doubt. Technically, though, 'they will serve no purpose' does not tell me 'they are of no use to us'. I could raise the objection that my educational documents (those would be diplomas and certificates, right?) will still serve their purpose, namely identify me as being educated, even though you do not need to know that... :) Does that make sense to you?

PS. I suppose it would be better to go with the more ordinary 'they will not be necessary/required/needed'...

Last edited:

rabz12

Urdu
    I'm quite getting that! So I should use this idiom only when I'm sure that something is really of no use to someone. Like if someone eating rice asks me to bring a spoon and I give him a stick instead, which of course is of no use to him.

< Previous | Next >