...services he have done for his fellow countrymen.

Alirezap

Persian
Hi friends.

I have written this phrase:
".... .I consider Mahatma Gandhi as an influential person due to many services he have done for his fellow countrymen."

I feel the phrase "services he have done" is somehow odd. I would appreciate if you can offer me a more appropriate substitute for it.

Thank you in advance.

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    "he have done":cross:
    "he has done":tick:
    This is the present perfect tense, and you would use it if Gandhi were still living.
    I agree with Packard that the tense is wrong,
    but I would not use the past perfect ("he had done") because I don't see any need to put "doing services" prior to another past event.
    I would use the simple past: "services he did".
    But I would not use the verb "do". I would say "services that he rendered" or "services that he performed".

Alirezap

Persian
    This is the present perfect tense, and you would use it if Gandhi were still living.
    but I would not use the past perfect ("he had done") because I don't see any need to put "doing services" prior to another past event.
    But I would not use the verb "do". I would say "services that he rendered" or "services that he performed".
    Quite useful. Thank you.

Packard

USA, English
    The past event I was using for the "had" was Gandhi's death. I think it sounds correct.

< Previous | Next >