set apart

< Previous | Next >
  • owlman5

English-US
    Somebody attempted to reserve that land as a site for a future airport. If somebody "sets land aside", somebody reserves that land for some specific use or purpose.

NUPUR

Hindi - India
    Somebody attempted to reserve that land as a site for a future airport. If somebody "sets land aside", somebody reserves that land for some specific use or purpose.
    Can I say?:
    1) I have set apart a few time of mine for watching television after study.
    2)I have set a few time aside of mine for watching television after study.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Can I say?:
    1) I have set apart a few time of mine for watching television after study.
    2)I have set a few time aside of mine for watching television after study.
    I would use "set aside" rather than "set apart" here. Also, we only use "a few" with countable nouns.

owlman5

English-US
    Florentia's comments make sense to me, Nupur: I set aside some of my time/a little of my time after I study for watching television.:thumbsup:

owlman5

English-US
    I'm not sure there's any significant difference between the two, Nupur, but "set aside" sounds a little more likely to me in talk about time. Both "set apart" and "set aside" sound normal to me in talk about land.

hectacon

Hindi
    Is there any difference between set apart and set aside?

If yes, then could you please explain?
    Yes there is a lit bit of difference. set aside means to put something on the side away from , whereas Set apart is to separate that thing form the original.
    Is there any difference between set apart and set aside?

If yes, then could you please explain?
    There is a figurative difference. If you are really good at something, and it makes you stand out . You are very popular because of that thing. Than we can say her result, her qualities, her height, set her apart from the rest.

<-----Off-topic comment removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >