"Set aside the pronged implement."

Mudkip

Français
I don't understand the meaning of the sentence : "Finally, the Auror stopped torturing his food and set aside the pronged implement."

Of course I understand the beginning but not the second part.

This text come from a fan-fiction of Harry Potter.

Thank you very much!

• dreamlike

Polish
    I take it to be the fork, or other piece of cutlery, depending on what kind of food the auror have been eating.

Finally, the Auror stopped torturing his food and set aside the pronged implement. - Finally, the Auror stopped eating and put the cutlery (a fork or a spoon) away.

"Torturing" would imply that he was using the fork, I can easily imagine poking my food with one (especially if the dish I'm eating is not very palatable)
    :D

Mudkip

Français
    Oh okay, I get it !

I didn't understand at all the sentence like that but now with your response, it is simply obvious !

Thank you very much Dreamlike for this quick and very clear response!!

dreamlike

Polish
    Yes, you're right, Pob. A spoon can hardly be regarded as a "pronged" implement :D

Oh, I forgot - Welcome to the Wordreference, Mudkip :)

George French

English - UK
    I don't understand the meaning of the sentence : "Finally, the Auror stopped torturing his food and set aside the pronged implement."
    Translation...

Stopped torturing his food. He was playing with his food (pushing it arround on his plate).. He was using a fork (pronged instrument); to do that.
    Set aside the pronged instrument. The Auror put down his fork...

GF..

He (probably) wasn't eating the food either....

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >