set aside

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
"Some people feel that even when a space in their homes is set aside as a work area, they never nearly get away from the office.
"Does "set aside" in the context mean "to use" => a space is used as a work area.
Thanks.

• mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Ah, I understand.
    So although they have a working place at home, these people don't want to leave their office.
    Thank you, Twin, very much.

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Hi,
    "Some people feel that even when a space in their homes is set aside as a work area, they never nearly get away from the office.
    "Does "set aside" in the context mean "to use" => a space is used as a work area.
    Thanks.
    Example:

--This place is set aside for you to grow your own garden.

C. E. Whitehead

English, U.S.
    "Set aside" also has the sense of has been "kept apart [from]," or "reserved."

Thus, the space in these people's homes has been "set aside" from normal use patterns, that is, it has been reserved for a special use (office space); much like you may put money aside for some special purpose.

--C. E. Whitehead

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Hi, Whitehead.
    Your explanation made the meaning of "set aside" clearer and I also understand why the writer chose to use "set aside" instead of other words.
    Thank you.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hi,
    Thanks.
    Where've you been, Mimi? I set aside a quarter of an hour to answer your question, and I see everyone has already answered it for you very well.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Where've you been, Mimi? I set aside a quarter of an hour to answer your question, and I see everyone has already answered it for you very well.
    Dear Thomas Tompion.
    I am here and you are always welcome when you come here to my thread.
    I appreciate every word you gave to me. Thank you for all you have done for the EO forum.

Packard

USA, English
    Set aside has some other meanings:

1. Discard
    2. Reserve or save
    3. Reject from consideration
    4. Annul or Overrule
    5. Exclude

1. He set aside the least acceptable entries.

2. He set aside the best ones for himself.

3. Her objections to the plan were set aside.

4. The verdict was set aside by the Supreme Court.

5. Setting aside for the moment the reason we came here...

< Previous | Next >