set in after the deliverance

chong lee

türkçe
Hi,
The quote is from the story "Hyacinth" by H. H. Munro.

Speaker locked three children in a pigsty. There is an election. And speaker's father is one of the candidates. The other candidate is father of three children who have been locked in.
Speaker threated the other candidate if his father lost ,he will get the sow take in pigsty which is angry becouse of the cries of litters in pigsty locked in pigsty like the three children. In the end, kidnapper's father won and he released the children.

What does it mean "set in" there ?

Thank you

"Now you can come up, you unclean little blighters," he sang out; "my daddy's got in, not yours. Hurry up, I can't keep the sow waiting much longer. And don't you jolly well come butting into any election again where I'm on the job."

In the reaction that set in after the deliverance furious recrimination were indulged in by the lately opposed candidates, their women folk, agents, and party helpers.

• chong lee

türkçe
    I am confused in the order of events.
    What is the main verb of the sentence?

In the reaction that set in after the deliverance furious recrimination were indulged in by the lately opposed candidates, their women folk, agents, and party helpers.

chong lee

türkçe
    Could you say me the main verb in that sentence; thank you.

< Previous | Next >