set the genie out

< Previous | Next >

ridgemao

Chinese - Mandarin
Hello, everyone:

A CONCERT AT HOME - what a beautiful disaster!
written by Wojciech Pacuła

Although as early as in the 1950s, when the prices of Kodak’s 8 mm projectors fell in the USA, you could take part in home film shows, it was the digital formats that really set the genie out of the lamp. They allowed for a home playback of decent quality multi-channel sound....

Is it OK to use the verb "set" in the underlined phrase above?
(I think this usage is the same as "set her free")

Thank you.

<Font size edited by moderator (Florentia52)>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Uncle Jack

British English
    The quotation is not good English and there are errors besides 'set'.
    I know the expression as 'let the genie out of the bottle', which, now that I think about it, is a little odd since the story almost everyone in Britain half-remembers is from Aladdin, which has a genie in a lamp; I don't recall a bottle being associated with a genie at all.

Myridon

English - US
    The quotation is not good English and there are errors besides 'set'.
    I know the expression as 'let the genie out of the bottle', which, now that I think about it, is a little odd since the story almost everyone in Britain half-remembers is from Aladdin, which has a genie in a lamp; I don't recall a bottle being associated with a genie at all.
    Richard Burton's translation of The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night uses the word "bottle" in the story of The Fisherman and the Jenni
    Quoth the Fisherman, "How didst thou fit into this bottle which would not hold thy hand; no, nor even thy foot, and how came it to be large enough to contain the whole of thee?"

< Previous | Next >