set to the half minute

< Previous | Next >

Joey Jung

Korean
Hi, everyone.

As I know, half minute means 30 seconds, right? But I can't understand what that means in this context.

On his dressing table were spread a number of articles which he told over carefully with suddenly fumbling fingers—their tickets to California, the book of traveller's checks, his watch, set to the half minute, the key to his apartment, which he must not forget to give to Maury, and, most important of all, the ring. It was of platinum set around with small emeralds; Gloria had insisted on this; she had always wanted an emerald wedding ring, she said.

I think he set his watch somehow, but I can't guess how he set his watch exactly.

Can you help me? Thank you.

• Joey Jung

Korean
    Insufficient context...
    What is the name of the book, who wrote it, and in what year was it set?
    It's from The Beautiful and Damned written by Scott Fitzgerald in 1922.

I'll put more context below.

MORNING

In the gray light he found that it was only five o'clock. He regretted nervously that he had awakened so early—he would appear fagged at the wedding. He envied Gloria who could hide her fatigue with careful pigmentation.

< --- >

On his dressing table were spread a number of articles which he told over carefully with suddenly fumbling fingers—their tickets to California, the book of traveller's checks, his watch, set to the half minute, the key to his apartment, which he must not forget to give to Maury, and, most important of all, the ring. < ---- >

Quotation reduced to comply with Rule 4. Cagey, moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    That is not "context" it is text.

Context would be "He [you should give a name] woke up on the day of his wedding. He is nervous."

Given that it is 1922, I would imagine a watch without a secondhand and "he" has set the watch (adjusted the time it is showing) to within half a minute of the time as announced on the radio or as shown on another clock.

Joey Jung

Korean
    That is not "context" it is text.

Context would be "He [you should give a name] woke up on the day of his wedding. He is nervous."

Given that it is 1922, I would imagine a watch without a secondhand and "he" has set the watch (adjusted the time it is showing) to within half a minute of the time as announced on the radio or as shown on another clock.
    I'm so sorry. I mistook context for text.

Anyway, I didn't even think about he(Anthony) set his watch using another clock(radio, etc).

Thanks a lot!

< Previous | Next >