set up/put up and take down/take apart a scaffolding

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
Hello,
Which verb fits the sentence better "Tomorrow we are taking down/taking apart the scaffolding" and "Tomorrow we are putting up/setting up the scaffolding"? I would take it apart and put it up, but that's probably just my preference.

Thank you

• Andygc

British English
    I would take it apart and put it up, but that's probably just my preference.
    I just had some - but I had scaffolders do it. :) They put it up and then took it down.

PS it's much easier to put it up before you take it down. Your order of doing if is a bit surreal. :D:D

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    I just had some - but I had scaffolders do it. :) They put it up and then took it down.

PS it's much easier to put it up before you take it down. Your order of doing if is a bit surreal. :D:D
    I didn't mean that :D. Thank you too, Andy. So, set up and take apart don't fit the context? I googled "how to set up scaffolding" and a lot of results came up. Maybe it is not used in everyday speech. What is wrong with take apart and set up? Is there a reason people don't use them?

Andygc

British English
    I can only comment from a BE perspective. Scaffolding is, as mr cat said, put up and taken down, or erected and dismantled. I think put up and take down are used much more often. There's nothing wrong with set up and take apart, but that's just not what we say.

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    I can only comment from a BE perspective. Scaffolding is, as mr cat said, put up and taken down, or erected and dismantled. I think put up and take down are used much more often. There's nothing wrong with set up and take apart, but that's just not what we say.
    Thank you, Andy. I asked out of curiosity. Please excuse my persistence.

< Previous | Next >