set you up

< Previous | Next >

sun 94

Banned
korean
What does 'Under the heading of telemarketing' and 'set you up ' mean?

, you are to ask everyone from your kindergarten teacher to your ex to set you up.

• Bobbum

Under the heading of meansplaced under a title. Telemarketing refers to selling over the telephone, you probably already know that. To set some one up means to place them in a position where they can be taken advantage of. I'm not sure what you mean by you are to ask. Maybe you're asking?

JamesM

<moderator note: sun_94, you have asked a question about text that is not provided in your sample sentence. Please edit your original post to provide complete context.>

sun 94

Banned
    korean
    Sorry. I made a mistake.

Under the heading of telemarketing, you are to ask everyone from your kindergarten teacher to your ex to set you up.

JamesM

Can you give us a sentence or two before this, please? "Set you up" could mean "arrange a date for you", among other things. Without some background it is difficult to be sure what it means in this sentence.

Bobbum

ymar: set up and upset as nouns are two different things. A set-up is often used to describe a fixed boxing match. An upset is a sporting event where one side wins by a large margin.
    As for verbs, I guess to set someone up with another person could mean to arrange a date, but I've more often heard "to fix someone up."
    I don't understand what it's got to do with telemarketing.

johnydynamic

English - US
    Although not relevant to the sentence in question, "Set up" can refer to the act of creating a situation with the intent of causing another to do something to their own detriment.

Example: A police officer leaves a plants illegal substances in a person's car. When that person gets in their car, that officer springs from the bushes and arrests that person for possession of the substance. That person was "set up" by the officer.

"Set-up" as a noun can refer to the situation above.

Example:
    The person in court tells the judge "It was a set-up".

Bobbum

As a verb, you can set up a meeting, set up a business, set up shop. Or place someone in a precarious postion, i.e. set them up.
    Upset, as a verb, can mean to cause dismay or physical distress, or to overturn.

< Previous | Next >