Settle down

_poppy_

English, UK
Hi

How would you say 'to settle down' as in to settle down in an armchair and read? I had thought maybe 'sistemarsi'?

Grazie mille

• giacinta

English
    Un nuovo posto sullo stesso argomento.

Come si dice in italiano: " I tried to imagine the family settling down for the night"?
    Il mio tentativo " Cercai di immaginare la famiglia di/a (?) sistemarsi per la notte."

Grazie in anticipo

Giacinta

Holymaloney

English (UK) / Italian - bilingual
    Hi giacinta :)
    Not sure if the grammar is correct so we need a real native to confirm but maybe also '...cercai di immaginare la famiglia che si ritira / mentre si ritira per la notte...' ;)

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    Hi giacinta :)
    Not sure if the grammar is correct so we need a real native to confirm but maybe also '...cercai di immaginare la famiglia che si ritira / mentre si ritira per la notte...' ;)
    Here in Italian we need tense agreement between the main clause and the relative clause, unless the action described in the relative clause is a habitual one, and is spoken of as such. Lexically, I would prefer something other than 'ritirare'.

So, if the context is that of say a relative or friend thinking about this family and trying to visualize them at bedtime.

Maybe " .. cercai di immaginarmi la famiglia che si sistemava per la notte ".

but if you are a zombie or a vampire planning an attack on the family, and you are trying to figure out their habits for tactical purposes, then :

" .. cercai di immaginarmi la famiglia che si sistema per la notte "

micky83_

Italian
    Hi Giacinta! I would say: Cercai di immaginare la famiglia che si preparava per andare a dormire. But if this family is not at home and is looking for an accommodation or a place to sleep, then yes, I would say: Cercai di immaginare la famiglia che si sistemava/che cercava una sistemazione per la notte.

Last edited:

giacinta

English
    Thank you everyone.

I now understand that sistemare applies more to arranging somewhere to sleep.

I suppose the gerundio can't be used here? I fear not. :confused: or even mentre? Cercai di immaginare la famiglia mentre si preparava per andare a dormire?
    It is just that "che si preparava per andare a dormire" seems to be incidental to the imagining.
    The protagonist is not imagining a family that just happens to be settling for the night. She is actually imagining the settling itself!

Giacinta

I suppose the gerundio can't be used here? I fear not. :confused: or even mentre? Cercai di immaginare la famiglia mentre si preparava per andare a dormire?
    Giacinta
    Hi Giacinta, the corrispondent gerundio construction in Italian is present participle but it is by no means as much usable as in English. We produce the -ing form with che + appropriate tense.

So the family settling down for the night becomes la famiglia che si preparava per andare a dormire.

But you second sentence with mentre:

Cercai di immaginare la famiglia mentre si preparava per andare a dormire

is perfect to reduce the idea of incidentality in favour of the idea of purposefulness.

Congratulations for managing this nuance of italian!
    Cheers.

CPA

British English/Italian - bilingual
    The protagonist is not imagining a family that just happens to be settling for the night. She is actually imagining the settling itself!
    Cercai di immaginare la famiglia che si disponeva a dormire.

That should cover everything from brushing their teeth to snuggling up under the blankets. :D

< Previous | Next >