sevgiler

< Previous | Next >

lisaleira

English, US
Hello!

I'm learning Turkish and starting to communicate. I see the word "sevgiler" is used in a lot of different message ending contexts. I'm trying to understand, how warm or how personal is this term? Is it something one would use in an email to a person you don't know? If it's between friends, is it a particularly warm term? In English, there's a big gap between "sincerely, [NAME]", "with love, [NAME]" and "hugs and kisses, [NAME]" -- but those are all some translations for sevgiler on wordreference.com. In what contexts would you use this word as a parting line? Really interested in any thoughts, thanks in advance.

L

• rarabara

Turkish
    "sevgiler" can be used in some cases such as;
    *in the ending sentence of written (an intimate/warm) letter (generally ends with the writer of letter but rarely can include also surname) .

example:

sevgiler
    burak

(if you would like to make the expression a bit formal then include your surname, for more formal, you should extend this expression by adding possessive supplement like this

sevgilerimle
    burak soyluer

(but i definitely suggest 'saygilarimla' or 'saygilarimizla' instead if you would like to write a formal expression to whom the receiver of this lettet is not someone that you know him/her closely. because this is fully formal and the receiver will clearly understand/feel that you are not his/ her friend or he/she does not know you and you do not know him)

*to complete a very warm sentence but a bit in a joke manner ( it can also be used in spoken turkish especially if you would like slightly tease with someone friendly.)

example
    aman ne demessiniz!
    efem...zatı ali niz de zaten pek müsaittir.
    sevgiler, saygilar, hürmetler...

* when sevgi is a name of girl, sevgiler can be used to imply sevgi's family or the group that includes sevgi.

example

sevgiler bugun yemege gelecekmi?

Last edited:

Ertpresso

USA
    Turkish
    Hello!

I'm learning Turkish and starting to communicate. I see the word "sevgiler" is used in a lot of different message ending contexts. I'm trying to understand, how warm or how personal is this term? Is it something one would use in an email to a person you don't know? If it's between friends, is it a particularly warm term? In English, there's a big gap between "sincerely, [NAME]", "with love, [NAME]" and "hugs and kisses, [NAME]" -- but those are all some translations for sevgiler on wordreference.com. In what contexts would you use this word as a parting line? Really interested in any thoughts, thanks in advance.

L
    "Sevgiler," is equilavent to "with love," in English, I believe. It is usually not used when writing to any person you don't know or you don't have a close relationship with. It is very rare (if at all) to see it in business correspondence. "En iyi dileklerimle" (with best wishes) is a safer, friendly, and less emotional alternative. "Saygılarımla," (Respectfully yours,) is common in formal contexts and always safe, but may sound distancing and too formal in friendly contexts.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >