sewing pattern vs. design

hydsky

korean
I was describing the drawing that shows length, width and all with measurements when you make your clothes something like 'blueprint' of clothes...
and I thought it's sewing pattern... isn't it?

Or do you normally call it as design?

I looked up for dictionary and it says sewing pattern..but my friend said they normally call it as design...

I thought design is more like layouts and colors that show the image of clothes.

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I think you are referring to what I have heard called a pattern.
    A sheet of thin paper with the shape of the piece printed on it,
    which you pin to the cloth and it guides your scissors to cut paper and cloth together in the right shape. A pattern.
    I don't know if AE and BE agree on this.

srk

English - US
    I think of a sewing pattern as something life-size to be placed on cloth stock as a guide.

If it is like a blueprint, where there are dimension lines and dimensions on a drawing that may be to scale but not to size, I think "design" would be a better word.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree with Cenzontle and srk about what a 'pattern' would be.

If that is not what you mean, then srk's suggestion of 'design' might work, though when I was working in the garment trade, we generally referred to those drawings as 'sketches', even when they had detailed measurements. That is, what I would call it if it is a drawing of the finished garment and not of the individual pieces used to make a garment.

hydsky

korean
    Thanks both of you~~ ^^ very helpful~~
    so just to be clear, design is something that provides a scale for making clothes
    and pattern is a part of clothes drawn in a piece of thin paper as a real-size so I could pin it onto fabric and cut the fabric along with it. right?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    That's what I would call them. :)
    However, it's only fair to warn you that other people, especially people from other parts of the world, may use different terminology.

(Home sewers use patterns printed on thin paper; factories may use patterns of stiff paper, or the patterns may be drawn by computers. The important point about a pattern is that it shows the size and shape of the individual pieces.)

sdgraham

USA English
    Note that "pattern" as something that can be traced for making things is not restricted to clothing.

It's used for all kinds of things, e.g. leather goods, cast parts, woodworking, etc.

hydsky

korean
    Thank you~~ ^^ so pattern can be used for making leather shoes or any other things (providing measurement) ^^

< Previous | Next >