Sex Sells

mjscott

American English
....Of course, it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, but so far, we have survived and the kiddos have grown more civilized and reasonable in their decisions. I like to think that some of their coming back to their senses was because I stuck to my guns!
--of course, if you live long enough, you see it all--people who are the epitome of bad examples who have upstanding productive children, and those who stick to their guns--and their kids stick to their guns with living a life of irrational decisions.

I would not, however, be able to sleep at night if I did not let my intentions on raising responsible contributors to society be known--at least to those of my own household!

"He who stands for nothing will fall for anything."

• gaer

US-English
    mjscott said:
    ....Of course, it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, but so far, we have survived and the kiddos have grown more civilized and reasonable in their decisions. I like to think that some of their coming back to their senses was because I stuck to my guns!
    --of course, if you live long enough, you see it all--people who are the epitome of bad examples who have upstanding productive children, and those who stick to their guns--and their kids stick to their guns with living a life of irrational decisions.

I would not, however, be able to sleep at night if I did not let my intentions on raising responsible contributors to society be known--at least to those of my own household!

"He who stands for nothing will fall for anything."
    I agree. For one thing, you have to keep on trying. You never know what will "stick" while you are "sticking to your guns". :)

In fact, I can't get to sleep at night unless I feel that I have done everything I can do in the name of what I believe in. I suppose it is a matter of personal integrity. I just have to be careful to remember that I have no control over what works—and what does not. :(

Gaer

Benjy

English - English
    slightly off topic comment, but watching the natural progression of this thread is an interesting insight into the forum demograph ;)

aside from that... (paraphasing here) "you can't judge somethings affect by one persons reaction". of course, this makes perfect sense. so how about the vast majority? i would argue that the vast majority of gamers are not rapists or murderers. and even mor eimportantly that the vast majority of rapists and murderers were not geeks games addicts like myself. probably because i lack the physical constitution to actually be able to kill someone even if i wanted to. yep, the triggger really is too hard to pull for someone who's most strenuous activity is double clicking.

about games getting even more violent:in my opinion games hit a brick wall a few years ago and they haven't as a whole really moved on much since then. there are exceptions. gta3 being one of them. mostly they seem to have stuck where the "acceptable line" is for most action films is today, why not lambast the film industry? also, not all games are violent in nature. and those that are have (for the most part) have content locks and filters for parents to acctivate. so if they are getting exposed to this junk before we deem they can handle it it really is because we aren't paying attention. i guess i'm just reiterating what i've already said so i'll stop :eek:

getting back to the original topic a little. when i walk down the high street i don't see pictures of guts and blood all over the windows. however i will see semi naked women all the time.. topless is starting to become acceptable window dressing material. i don't want to see that. i really don't. if i get married andhave kids of my own, i don't want them everytime i go outside to have sex shoved in their faces because the adult popultation at large deems it acceptable. where's my choice in the matter. i gues i'll start shopping by internet of something.

lauranazario

Moderatrix
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    gaer said:
    I assume when you say "*I*" above, you are still giving us a look into the minds of the people who create ads, not saying that you approve. Because the way you worded you response, my impression of how you personally feel about all this is very unclear. :)

Oh absolutely! I am definitely NOT saying using sex is right or wrong. In the mindset of an advertiser, using sex to sell a product is just one of the many 'tools' available to him/her... humor is another effective tool, using kids or animals (and their 'cute' factor) is another tool... it just depends on the strategy one chooses. :)

Saludos,
    LN

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    getting back to the original topic a little. when i walk down the high street i don't see pictures of guts and blood all over the windows. however i will see semi naked women all the time.. topless is starting to become acceptable window dressing material. i don't want to see that. i really don't. if i get married andhave kids of my own, i don't want them everytime i go outside to have sex shoved in their faces because the adult popultation at large deems it acceptable. where's my choice in the matter. i gues i'll start shopping by internet of something (quote from benjy)

benjy;
    I won't argue the games..you are for them because you play them...I have nothing against them..other than the fact that they are!! getting more violent...

As for the quote from you above..yes you are correct...WE have no choice...yet the advertizers got what they wanted from you...you noticed the ads, bill-boards....you might not like them..but you noticed them all the same...As for choice..we have none....necessity of items... supply and demand...what ever you wish to call it....will always be there..and money talks....sad...but true..

te gato;)

Benjy

English - English
    te gato said:
    getting back to the original topic a little. when i walk down the high street i don't see pictures of guts and blood all over the windows. however i will see semi naked women all the time.. topless is starting to become acceptable window dressing material. i don't want to see that. i really don't. if i get married andhave kids of my own, i don't want them everytime i go outside to have sex shoved in their faces because the adult popultation at large deems it acceptable. where's my choice in the matter. i gues i'll start shopping by internet of something (quote from benjy)

benjy;
    I won't argue the games..you are for them because you play them...I have nothing against them..other than the fact that they are!! getting more violent...

As for the quote from you above..yes you are correct...WE have no choice...yet the advertizers got what they wanted from you...you noticed the ads, bill-boards....you might not like them..but you noticed them all the same...As for choice..we have none....necessity of items... supply and demand...what ever you wish to call it....will always be there..and money talks....sad...but true..

te gato;)

i guess you're right in a certain sense (omg so french.. whats a more natural way to say that in english? =[ ). thing is i try to vote with my feet, and people who use gratuitous sex/swearing/violence or what ever to advertise their products, i try not to but them. it's getting alot harder though. like the stupid fcuk think (no not a typo.. french connection uk) i won't buy their clothes now. but thats just me. it seems as if we are trying as hard as we can now that we have enjoyed our childhood to steal it from our children. i swear my hair is going to turn grey on of these days :eek:

ps hahah karen, you are more liekly to get blood out of a stone than to get me to say video games are evil.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Benjy said:
    video games are evil.

There you go Karen, he said it!

Sex doesn't sell. It attracts attention. And nothing has changed in decades except that television, and even, perhaps, video games, have shrunk the imaginations of children.

Look at automobile or office equipment advertising from the 1950s or 1960s.

There were usually women in the ads, wearing ankly length dresses with high necks. The viewer/reader added some imagination to the printed image, and saw 'sex'. Now that we are into the second or third or fourth generation of people who had TV as a baby sitter and constant companion, and most young adults only read books to comply with school assignments, they have atrophied imaginations; thus advertising has to be more representational to attract attention.

Deny your children more than an hour of TV and computer games a day until they learn to enjoy reading. They will still be subject to visual bombardment with prominent T&A, but they will also have some useful mental facilities.

saludos,
    Cuchu

gaer

US-English
    lauranazario said:
    Oh absolutely! I am definitely NOT saying using sex is right or wrong. In the mindset of an advertiser, using sex to sell a product is just one of the many 'tools' available to him/her... humor is another effective tool, using kids or animals (and their 'cute' factor) is another tool... it just depends on the strategy one chooses. :)

Saludos,
    LN
    Okay, I think you were just trying to show us how advertisers think, right? :)

By the way, there have been over 50 replies to this thread. If you like at the title, you have to wonder why there have been so many replies to this topic when so other equally interesting topics have been all but ignored.
    icon12.gif

Gaer

Benjy

English - English
    gaer said:
    Okay, I think you were just trying to show us how advertisers think, right? :)

By the way, there have been over 50 replies to this thread. If you like at the title, you have to wonder why there have been so many replies to this topic when so other equally interesting topics have been all but ignored.
    icon12.gif

Gaer

because by definition, if noone replies to them they are not interesting.

discuss.

i digress :p

i guess its something that i feel strongly about, that i have to deal with all the time. thus if a debate starts on the subject i can't stop my self from having a crack at it. the other thing is.. all the other subjects in here are about the english language. i am the suckiness at english (this sentence proves my point adequately ;)) and so i abstain from perpetuating my idiocy in the other threads.

gaer

US-English
    Benjy said:
    because by definition, if noone replies to them they are not interesting.
    Ah, but that was not my point. My point was that the TITLE has drawn some people to this discussion, which has gone far beyond sex, right?

And if you put a different lable on other topics, the title might initially cause more people to check it out.

Suppose the title here was: "The social implications of video gaming upon society in general?" :)

lauranazario

Moderatrix
    gaer said:
    If you like at the title, you have to wonder why there have been so many replies to this topic when so other equally interesting topics have been all but ignored.

I can only reply to this from a very personal perspective, Gaer.
    Personally, I am not in the habit of replying to a thread just for the sake of increasing my post count or to make some sort of inane comment. Therefore, I post in those threads where I feel I can make a knowledgeable contribution. I have first-hand knowledge of the use of "sex-sells" in advertising so that's what I chose to contribute, including links to articles on that particular topic.
    (You may or may not have noticed I have deliberately stayed away from the videogame subtopic present in this very thread). ;)

Saludos,
    LN

lauranazario

Moderatrix
    gaer said:
    Ah, but that was not my point. My point was that the TITLE has drawn some people to this discussion, which has gone far beyond sex, right?

Ahhhhh, the undeniable power of advertising, my friend! :D
    Like I said a few posts back... whether we like it or not, "sex" renders a 'product' (in this case a thread) more noticeable.

Saludos,
    LN

Benjy

English - English
    gaer said:

And if you put a different lable on other topics, the title might initially cause more people to check it out.

Suppose the title here was: "The social implications of video gaming upon society in general?" :)

heh. true.. i guess i can't really comment because i read absolutely everything on here and post more often than not unless the thread involves a (sub)culture that i know nothing about.

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Hello All;

First of all..Thank you Cuchu...for pointing out that benjy did indeed say that video games are evil...(try and get out of that one benjy..I now have witnesses..) context or not..you said it....ha,ha,ha...:D

I still say that it is sad the way things are going....and will continue going...
    I fully agree with what cuchu said that if the parents limit the intake of TV, video games, and even movies....maybe we won't have to worry so much about the future generation...books are great!!...and nothing against movies, TV or even benjy's favorite past time..but limits have to be set..by the schools..parents..extended family...things are getting frightfull...kids are getting more violent, younger and younger...the cases that came across my desk..involving Children as young as 6 and 7...and violent cases...and why?...because the children are left with the easy babysitter..the Tv..Games..while mom and dad are out working their buts off to get that New Minni van advertized with the bimbett..that the dad liked so much...

There! the fat lady has sang!!...
    no, wait...i'm not fat, and I've never been called a lady.....:D
    te gato;)

mjscott

American English
    ....or, Denial ain't just a river in Egypt!

Oh, I hope you're all belly-laughing! I'm just so tempted by watching a bug squirm when you hold it between your fingers! (I was also devious as a child....)

Sex cells.
    "Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark."
    -Quote by some guy named James

gaer

US-English
    Benjy said:
    heh. true.. i guess i can't really comment because i read absolutely everything on here and post more often than not unless the thread involves a (sub)culture that i know nothing about.
    And I commented because almost nothing else was going ON. I had a whole queue of replies in email, which I rely upon to see what is going on.

I saw:

Sex Sells.
    Sex Sells.
    Sex Sells.
    Sex Sells.
    Sex Sells.
    Sex Sells.
    Sex Sells.

I am NOT kidding. So I caved in a replied. :)

Gaer

Benjy

English - English
    gaer said:
    And I commented because almost nothing else was going ON. I had a whole queue of replies in email, which I rely upon to see what is going on.

I saw:

Sex Sells.
    Sex Sells.
    Sex Sells.
    Sex Sells.
    Sex Sells.
    Sex Sells.
    Sex Sells.

I am NOT kidding. So I caved in a replied. :)

Gaer

hahaha. the irony. i guess it does :(