Seymour (pronunciation)

Encolpius

Hungarian
Hello, there are three ways how to pronounce the name Seymour in my pronunciation dictionary. There is only on here in WR dictionary. My dictionary says:
1/ [si:mɔ:]
2/ [si:mə(r)]
3/ [seimə(r)]
So how did you learnt at school when you learnt about Henry VIII wives, Jane Seymour? I think we Hungarians use the 3/ pronunciation which I know might be false.
Is the first one the commonest in general?
Thanks.

• Retired-teacher

British English
    I am not familiar with the notation you have used but I can say that we pronounce it the same as the two words "See more"

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    3/ [seimə(r)]

I think we Hungarians use the 3/ pronunciation which I know might be false.
    It is very wrong, and it is highly likely that a native speaker would not know what name you were saying if you pronounced it this way.

As Retired-teacher said, it is pronounced on both sides of the Atlantic as if you were saying the words "see more." Those who have rhotic accents would pronounce the final "r", and those who have non-rhotic accents would not.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I say /ˈsiːmɔː/ too, but I imagine there's also the more old fashioned /ˈsiːmʊə/, in the same way that moor (or the name Moore) can be /mɔː/ or /mʊə/ or that poor can be /pɔː/ or /pʊə/.

(Boleyn getting first syllable stress?! In BBC's Wolf Hall it was still /bəˈlɪn/.)

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    I agree with everyone above, and say siːmɔː ["see-more"] as well. That is the version you always hear. [It is the one I heard and used at school and university, and is the one used in documentaries about her.]

Encolpius

Hungarian
    Of course I wouldn't have asked it if I hadn't seen the notation 2 and 3 in Longman Dictionary. So, it remains a mystery why the two "bizarre" pronunciations.

Retired-teacher

British English
    The pronunciation of names is very individual. Other people with names having the same spelling may wish them to be pronounced differently.

< Previous | Next >