Shе <was to havе callеd><was to call> yеstеrday, but shе <had to lеavе><must have left> urgеntly

marshalldteach

Russian
modals; how to say it right?
[Question added to post. DonnyB - moderator]

Shе was to havе callеd / was to call yеstеrday, but shе had to lеavе / must have left urgеntly

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Hermione Golightly

British English
    Welcome! It's hard to make useful comments when there is no context. If you are asking about the second part, both seem to be possible. It all depends on what you want us to understand. 'Had to' and 'must have' convey different meanings. So please provide context and source.

marshalldteach

Russian
    [Response to deleted post removed. DonnyB - moderator]
    I don't know the context.. I had a task to translate a sentence. And I realized that I don't know in which situations we use be to + infinitive and in which we use be to + perfect infinitive; I understand it's basic meaning that it means "must", it expresses the idea that someone else demands smth and also it is used to convey what someone expects about a previously arranged event; but in what situations we use past tense model "was to infinitive"and in which perfect model "was to perfect infinitive"

Last edited by a moderator:

marshalldteach

Russian
    Welcome! It's hard to make useful comments when there is no context. If you are asking about the second part, both seem to be possible. It all depends on what you want us to understand. 'Had to' and 'must have' convey different meanings. So please provide context and source.
    I figured out the second part on my own; I can't understand the first one

Linkway

British English
    She had to lеavе urgеntly. = I KNOW that she had to leave urgently. Something compelled her to leave urgently.

She must have left urgеntly. = I THINK that something made her leave urgently. This a speculation based on empirical evidence and/or reasoning eg the cirumstances, or what we know of her usual behaviour in similar circumstances.

Vronsky

Russian - Russia
    She was to have called yesterday, but she had to leave urgently.
    (try using Google ;))

< Previous | Next >