'shades' of emotions

< Previous | Next >

AramHan

Spanish -Argentina
Hi! So, is the word "shades" correctly used in this text?
"She let herself flow in a current of different shades of emotions; affection, lust, selfishness, happiness, sorrow, passion, excitement, regret, love..."
Thanks in advance!

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hi! So, is the word "shades" correctly used in this text?
    "She let herself flow in a current of different shades of emotions; affection, lust, selfishness, happiness, sorrow, passion, excitement, regret, love..."
    Thanks in advance!
    I suggest not.

I don't think you can follow "different shades of emotion" with a list of fundamentally different emotions. "Shades" suggest to me subtle differences. Happiness and sorrow are not shades of emotion, are they?

AngelEyes

English - United States
    Uh...I think this is quite a poetic way of writing it.

Shades as is used here means to me different varieties of emotions, even when those emotions are very dissimilar.

Can't you have shades of different levels of one emotion as well as feeling shades of a whole lot of different emotions all at once?

I think you can. I can be sad and angry at the same time. That means I'm caught in a current of strong emotions that are different but possible nonetheless.

Even the word current goes nicely with the word flow.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Uh...I think this is quite a poetic way of writing it.

Shades as is used here means to me different varieties of emotions, even when those emotions are very dissimilar.

Can't you have shades of different levels of one emotion as well as feeling shades of a whole lot of different emotions all at once?

I think you can. I can be sad and angry at the same time. That means I'm caught in a current of strong emotions that are different but possible nonetheless.

Even the word current goes nicely with the word flow.
    Ah, you want it both ways. All of the emotions, each in all of its possible shades.
    So be it :)

AngelEyes

English - United States
    You got it, Panj. :)

Seriously, I see the way you were understanding it, and I agree with that viewpoint, too.

I've also been thinking about what felicity stated, and she has a valid point. I might try to re-word it a bit, but I still would leave in about flowing in/on a current of different shades...etc. I like it that much that I would keep it somehow.

AramHan

Spanish -Argentina
    Well, what comes afterwards may explain a little bit why did I use the word "shades"
    It goes like this:
    "She let herself flow in a current of different shades of emotions; affection, lust, selfishness, happiness, sorrow, passion, excitement, regret, love; all of them made with a different color... Until her eyes reached black."

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >