shades of French fairy dust

Francesco22

italiano
Hi there,
I can't understand the meaning of "shades" in this sentence.
It can't be "ombra" or "paralume", "ombrello" and so on... I tought they meant "jars" or "bottle", because it could be reasonable...otherwise it has no sense.

The context: two fairies are talking about a third fairy who needs fifteen shades of French fairy dust and a bottle of blue moonlight...

Thank you in advance...

• AlabamaBoy

American English
    Questa altra fata proprio non riesce a fare nulla senza un numero eccessivo di sostanze magiche.

rrose: In my stomping grounds, "shades" rarely literally means "colors" in an ironic statement like this.

Francesco22

italiano
    And what about the "blue moonlight"?? Una bottiglia gigante di chiaro di luna blu?!?!?!
    If you (native speakers) listened to this sentence, what would you understand?!

rrose17

Canada, English
    I still think shades of fairy dust is various colours, but the blue moonlight is probably ironic as AB pointed out. There is a very common expression once in a blue moon which means almost never. So a bottle of blue moonlight must be very rare indeed!

Francesco22

italiano
    Yes, ok...but the fact is that the fairy is reading a list of things the other fairy needs...for this reason I think it's not just an ironic way to express she is incompetent.

Francesco22

italiano
    Right London Calling...but the problem is that I have also to adjust the sentence to the fairy's lips opening and closing...:(
    Anyway, thank you all!!!

AlabamaBoy

American English
    Lo, I think, at least in English, the ironic (perhaps sardonic) mood is set by the fact, that these 15 types of fairy dust are all different, just a shade different, from each other. I would not be surprised that this is one that an American would see as a joke while someone else would see it as incomprehensible. Perhaps it's a cultural thing. Our senses of humor are different. I often have trouble understanding or telling jokes with my Italian friends.

EDIT: Ovunque sul forum WRF si trova: once in a blue moon = una volta ogni morta di papa. Quindi, il "bottle of blue moonlight" (una bottiglia di luce di luna blu) non ha un senso ironico in italiano come lo ha in inglese.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >