Shaggy psychedelic charm

< Previous | Next >

RORSCHACH

Farsi-persian
Hi

could you help me to understand the meaning of "Shaggy Psychedelic Charm"?

“We bundled into an oversized black van I call “Scooby” because it reminds me of the Scooby-Doo Mystery Machine (our van has less shaggy psychedelic charm, but we love it just the same), and set out on our thousand-mile journey.”

Source: Hillary Rodham Clinton. “What Happened.”

• Copyright

American English
    The charm of the van was less shaggy (long-haired) and psychedelic (referring to the drugs taken at that time). In other words, it wasn't a hippie van.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    It was a big thing back in the late 60s-early 70s to go around in a van, either around town or on long road trips. Inevitably some were painted in psychedelic colors and motifs. The benefits of a van are fairly obvious if you think about low or no rent, sleeping wherever and whenever you wanted, privacy in the back for illicit activities, and of course being able to go to worship at your favorite shrines - I mean - go to outdoor rock concerts. :) Both the hippies and the interior carpet were shaggy.

I won't mention anything about Hilary's shameless ghost written pandering to that generation of voters while riding around in a multi-million dollar, chauffeur-driven black van with bullet proof windows.

Copyright

American English
    The classic hippie van is the Volkswagen Type 2:

The Volkswagen Type 2, known officially (depending on body type) as the Transporter, Kombi or Microbus, or, informally, as the Bus (US) or Camper (UK), is a forward control panel van introduced in 1950 by the German automaker Volkswagen as its second car model.

Like the Beetle, the van has received numerous nicknames worldwide, including the "microbus", "minibus", and, because of its popularity during the counterculture movement of the 1960s, Hippie van/wagon, and still remains iconic for many hippies today.
    (Wikipedia ... more on that link above)

Here's one example:

hippievan3.jpg

ewie

English English
    My childhood was so thoroughly saturated imbued with Scooby-Doo that I thought of it as soon as I saw the thread title, Mr R:cool:

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    Reminds me ... back in the era a friend of a friend had an auto repair shop and whenever he went on vacation at some river gathering spot of hippies or wherever, he would sternly warn his companions not to tell anyone that he worked on VWs.

< Previous | Next >