Shake somebody up

< Previous | Next >
Hello everybody,

I found this definition in the Oxford Dictionary: Shake sb up:"to surprise somebody and make them think about something in a different way, become more active, etc".My question is:Is this use of "shake up" currently used?Please, take a look at the sentence:

This movie will definitely shake you up.(Really make you stop to think and sort of shock you.)

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
  • ewie

English English
    Hello Xavier. Yes, I'd say it's definitely in current use.

But ... without more context to surround it, I wouldn't be sure if your sentence meant 'make you think' or 'set your nerves on edge'.

Ewie,

I'm sorry about not posting the whole context, here it is:

Mary:Why don't you watch a movie on the weekend?
    Mike:I can't find one that is worth it.
    Mary:I think you should see "Roses are red".This movie will definitely shake you up;the story is moving, there is a lot of action and a surprising ending.
    Mike:Ok, I'll try and rent it.

Thank you in advance!

owlman5

English-US
    Thanks for the context, Xavier. :) Here "This movie will definitely shake you up" is saying "this movie will definitely be exciting". Lots of action and a surprise ending sound like a formula for a "thriller".

taraa

Persian
    Saito is a competitor of Maurice Fisher. Maurice is dying and his son (Robert) is the heir of the corporation. Saito can't compete with them any more. He wants Cobb to persuade Roberb through Inception so he (Robert )break up his father's empire. They (Cobb and his friends) take Robert into a three level dream to do inception. In the first level of the dream they steel Robert and take him to their workplace.

Cobb to Arthur: You, come on. Let's go shake him up.
    Inception movie

Does "shake up" have this definition that ewie said, please?

Hello Xavier. Yes, I'd say it's definitely in current use.

But ... without more context to surround it, I wouldn't be sure if your sentence meant 'make you think' or 'set your nerves on edge'.

taraa

Persian
    What does steel Robert mean? Are you trying to say that they kidnapped Robert and took him to their workplace?
    Oh sorry. :) I should've written "steal". Yes I meant they kidnapped Robert and took him to their workplace.
    What does steel Robert mean? Are you trying to say that they kidnapped Robert and took him to their workplace?

It probably means Let's do something that will upset him/set his nerves on edge.
    Thank you, Owlman. :)

< Previous | Next >