shall he be <transported>

< Previous | Next >

gil12345

chinese
Hi there,

"If long wont to fix his glance on those who, trudging through the humbler walks of life, and whom unequal toil and poverty deform; if that man shall haply view some fair and gracious daughter of the gods, who, from unknown climes of loveliness and affluence, comes floating into sight, all symmetry and radiance; how shall he be transported, that in a world so full of vice and misery as ours, there should yet shine forth this visible semblance of the heavens. For a lovely woman is not entirely of this earth. Her own sex regard her not as such."

The Project Gutenberg eBook of Pierre: or, The Ambiguities, by Herman Melville.

How am I supposed to understand the underlined "transported" as well as the sentence with it?
But I venture my interpretation as follows:
If a man, who has been long accustomed to see those lowly women whom the unusual hard life has deformed, now comes across a beautiful woman from distinguished family, with all the "loveliness and affluence," how shall he make the shift from one to another, understanding that in the world "full of vice and misery" he should encounter something (someone) heavenly?

Thanks

Gil

• < Previous | Next >