shallow or superficial

< Previous | Next >

Bor22

spanish
I have some doubts, I don´t know if it is correct to say: Shallow idea, shallow temperament and shallow view of. Or on the contrary there is to use superficial.

Context:

His shallow idea about whales was a bit reasonable.

It had such a shallow temperament that he looked like a rock star.

Woman´s parents had a shallow view of him. So they tried not to allow the marriage.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Bor 22. I think "shallow" is a pretty good synonym for "superficial" in ordinary language and see no problem with using it to describe things like ideas and personalities.

"Shallow" seems to work in your first two sentences although I'm not as sure about its use in your third example. Do you mean to say that the parents don't know much about him? If so, then it should be OK. If you mean to say that their view of him is well-informed but negative, then I'd probably go hunting for another adjective.

Packard

USA, English
    Ordinarily I would say you could use "shallow" and "superficial" interchangeably. However with the whales I would go with "superficial" as there might be some assumption that you are making a joke about the whales and the depth of water they swim in.

...His shallow idea about whales was a bit reasonable...

Myridon

English - US
    The first and second sentences make no sense to me at all. The third sentence should say "a dim view".

Packard

USA, English
    Ordinarily I would say that a person was "shallow in his thinking" or "takes a superficial view of things", etc. I would not normally say "he has a shallow idea..."

I might say:

His ideas on the subject show that, at best, he has a superficial understanding of the problems whales face...

< Previous | Next >