'Shank' into the water-(Watson turned into masters champ)

Veera

India-Tamil & Telugu
Hi,

The below context is excerpted from the source : http://chronicle.augusta.com/opinion/editorials/2012-04-09/hooked?v=1334009976 (Title - Watson took sharp right out of the woods and turned in to masters champ)

"Talk about a shank into the water!"

The word 'shank into the water' sounds bit strange to me. Is it a kind of expression? Why the author has used this word here?

I searched it in our forum dictionary and "in context feature" link. I am little bit confused.

Please share your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

• cycloneviv

English - Australia
    The appropriate definition, with a bit of interpretation, can be found in the Word Reference dictionary.

To shank: Golf strike (a ball) with the heel of the club.

So a shank is a strike made with the heel of the club. I think that's usually not something you want to do! A shank into the water would be even worse. Not only has the ball been hit poorly, it's landed in the water!

The writer is saying "what a bad shot!", using the term figuratively to mean that Sports Illustrated's prediction ("Sports Illustrated predicted the 2012 Masters would be a two-man tale – boldly declaring that 'Tiger Woods versus Rory McIlroy is the only story in golf'") was poor. The actual result was entirely different from what Sports Illustrated predicted.

< Previous | Next >