shape or tension of a hammock

< Previous | Next >

Sidjanga

German;southern tendencies
Hi all,

What would you call or how would you describe this hammock as opposed to this one?

Could I say that the first one "is sagging", or that it's a "sagging hammock" or a "slack hammock"?

Any suggestions welcomed.

• Copyright

American English
    Your first one is a fabric hammock. The second is a rope hammock with spreader bars.

I don't know that there are any more specialized terms for these. I wouldn't use "sagging hammock" although if you must, I suppose you could use "slack hammock." Still, all hammocks form the familiar curve shape when someone is in them, so I don't think I'd talk too much about their shape when filled.

Normally, hammocks are described by either style, e.g. Mayan, or material, e.g. fabric, rope, string.

Sidjanga

German;southern tendencies
    Thanks for your reply, Copyright.

It looks like I should have given more context or explained better what I really want to say. :)

My text is not about hammocks as such, so the fabric or style don't really matter a lot.
    It's meant to be a metaphor:

"It [a certain feeling] is a bit like standing in a (slack) hammock and trying to jump upwards in order to take a high hurdle." (as opposed to attempting the same with solid ground under your feet)

- which is obviously a very difficult or even impossible thing to do, and the "slacker" the hammock, the more difficult (or impossible) it gets.
    That's the idea behind it.

So would "slack" be the best option in this situation?

spandexmonkey

English
    I think a hammock is slack and wobbly as it is, so just saying 'a hammock' would be fine. Unless you're trying to be as descriptive as possible in your writing. Hope this helps!

Copyright

American English
    I like my comparisons short and sweet, so I would simply say: It's a bit like trying to stand up in a hammock.

I think everyone knows that's pretty impossible. :)

compaqdrew

English - AE
    Maybe talking about hammocks is idiomatic in the source language, but in AE I think the analogy gets in the way of the meaning.

I would search for a native idiom here. There are many that potentially meet your criteria but I would need a lot more context to recommend one.

< Previous | Next >