share / exchange

< Previous | Next >

Shelia

India-Hindi
"Opinions are shared and gossip is exchanged"

Why shared is used for opinions and exchanged for gossip particularly?

• Shelia

India-Hindi
    Every author, I suppose, has in mind a setting in which readers of his or her work could benefit from having read it. Mine is the proverbial office water cooler, where **opinions are shared and gossip is exchanged.**

Welcome to the forum, Sheila. Since context matters so much in English, it is very important that you provide it here when you have a question about a sentence. Merely repeating the sentence is not enough; we really do need the information that heypresto asked you for (" Where did you see this? Who said it? In what context? ") before we can attempt to give you a fully accurate answer.

That being said, you might also note that as a matter of style in English, writers tend to avoid repeating verbs, and will use synonyms with similar meanings rather than using the same verb twice.

Last edited:

Shelia

India-Hindi
    Ok. I can relate.

Shared was used for opinions.
    Exchanged was used for gossip.

I had this confusion whether the verbs are specifically used or can be used interchangeably.

dojibear

English - US
    "Exchange" means "trade". 2 people might each have some gossip to tell the other. Those 2 people "exchanged" gossip.

"Share" means "let other use the same thing". If you have an idea or opinion, you might "share" that with other people. Then they will also have that opinion.

Loob

English UK
    I had this confusion whether the verbs are specifically used or can be used interchangeably.
    The words can't be used "interchangeably": as dojibear said, they have different meanings.

But it would certainly have been possible for the author to write Opinions are exchanged and gossip is shared.

Shelia

India-Hindi
    But it would certainly have been possible for the author to write Opinions are exchanged and gossip is shared.
    This is what i was looking for! But could there be any specific reason as to why author chose to write it that way?

Loob

English UK
    Yes: as I said, the original sentence has a different meaning from the sentence I wrote in post 8.

heypresto

English - England
    This is what i was looking for! But could there be any specific reason as to why author chose to write it that way?
    This is one of the reasons I asked for the source of your sentence, and some context. If we knew this, and who said it, we could give you a more informed answer.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    To get back to answering the question which was actually asked... ;)
    But could there be any specific reason as to why author chose to write it that way?
    To me, "sharing" opinions suggests that some of the participants could well have the same opinion, with the result that some of the 'different' opinions will amount to being the same. On the other hand "exchanging" gossip conveys more of a sense of a two-way process of communication. You could reverse the verbs as "opinions are exchanged and gossip is shared" with relatively little difference in real meaning, but I think the collocations the author has chosen are more natural ones. You could even do it as, say. "opinions and gossip are shared". So really I think it amounts to a stylistic choice on the part of the author to compose a sentence which he thought sounded well-written. :)

< Previous | Next >