share in/share [the triumph ...]

< Previous | Next >

aaronsun666

Mandarin
The Big Bang Theory Season 02, Episode 09

Sheldon: It’s colloquial, a conversation opener. So, do you find the weather satisfying? Are you currently sharing in the triumph of some local sports team?

What if I cross out 'in', will there be a change in meaning?

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    To me there is a difference: sharing in implies that they are physically participating in a celebration with others e.g having a party to celebrate. Sharing the triumph could simply mean that they are proud of their local team.

aaronsun666

Mandarin
    Thanks, Franco. I didn't reckon that the person who Sheldon spoke to, Penny, took part in the sports. But I might be wrong. Could you give me some examples to let me feel the difference between 'share' and 'share in'?

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    I don't find the same nuance that Franco-filly does. To me, sharing the triumph and sharing in the triumph mean the same thing. Sheldon's question "Are you currently sharing in the triumph of some local sports team?" probably means "Are you currently feeling happy because your favorite team won?" Sheldon is weird and uses phrases that most people would not use.

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    I didn't reckon that Penny, took part in the sports
    She wouldn't have to participate in the sport - just be a fan joining in the celebration. So she could be in a pub with other fans of the local team having a celebratory drink.

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    I prefer "sharing in" in this example that seems to mean "participating in the celebration of a sports team's triumph." I'd hesitate to say that I was "sharing the triumph" of a team unless I were a member of that team and had done something meaningful to help it win.

< Previous | Next >