share in the Lord's grace

John Kent

Korea - English
There is a sentence: I have been a very bad man all my life and have had no power to resist evil, but never before have I been so desirous of being saved from sin and sharing in the Lord's grace. (Tomahawks to Peace) I'm a little confused about the parts in red. What's your understanding of it? Does it bear the same meaning with "enjoy the Lord's grace"? Thanks in advance!

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, I think it means 'having a share in the Lord's grace'. You will presumably already know that the Lord's grace is God's unmerited favour (towards humankind), and the man wants to receive that grace.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I think if a non-Christian was describing Christianity, he would say that the Lord's grace was the magical power of God to redeem people (a technical word often used for this is save).

This grace is spread through Cristian communities by priests, who have unique power to do this, conferred upon them in the sacrament (magical act dispensing grace) of ordination.

There are, in many varieties of Christianity, several sacraments, eg. baptism, ordination, confirmation, marriage, the eucharist, supreme unction, penance.

Cross-posted with Natkretap.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Ah, TT has picked up on the sacraments which I hadn't. I notice the sentence that followed the quotation and I think that is definitely a useful point to make.
    ... never before have I been so desirous of being saved from sin and sharing in the Lord's grace. O that I were baptized and cleansed in His blood!
    Sacraments are often defined as the outward signs of inward grace. The context is the Moravian church, which, like most Protestant churches, recognises only two sacraments: baptism and holy communion. (I think it is only the Catholic church that recognises seven sacraments)

< Previous | Next >