shared in/shared the ongoing tragedy

< Previous | Next >

HolyUnicorn

Mandarin / the Shanghai Dialect
Hello;

“Although northern Carolina, unlike the colony’s southern reaches, did not at first import large numbers of African slaves, both regions shared in the ongoing tragedy of bloody relations between Indians and Europeans. “

From "The American Pageant" by Thomas A. Bailey

There are a couple of threads about the difference between “share in” and “share”. I am still unsure if I delete “in”, would the meaning of the sentence change?

1. Both regions shared in the ongoing tragedy of bloody relations between Indians and Europeans.
2. Both regions shared the ongoing tragedy of bloody relations between Indians and Europeans.

Perhaps No.1 suggests there were other colonies than North Carolina and South Carolina that had the ongoing tragedy. If North Carolina accounted for 10% of the tragedy and South Carolina accounted for 10%, there were other colonies that accounted for the rest (80%) of the tragedy.

No.2 suggests that South Carolina and North Carolina fighted together against Indians. There were no other players.

Am I correct?

• HolyUnicorn

Mandarin / the Shanghai Dialect
    To me, "in" is required. It means they had a shared involvement in the tragedy.
    Could you explain if "in" is deleted, how would the meaning change?

Post 3 in share/share in the blame seems to agree with my distinction.

"I don't see any difference in this particular example, but in a more general context:

... they would share the blame.
    "They" would be to blame. They would be the only people to blame,

... they would share in the blame.
    "They" would take some of the blame. They, and others not identified, would be to blame. "

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >