She’s pressing the button

Ludmiliya Ludskaya

Russian
hello, everyone here.
She’s pressing the button but nothing is happening.
What does "she's pressing the button" mean here? Keeping the button pressed? or pressing the button again and again at the time of speaking?

Thanks in advance.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Without context, it is impossible to say what is happening. Could you give the context and a source? :thumbsup:

Ludmiliya Ludskaya

Russian
    Without context, it is impossible to say what is happening. Could you give the context and a source? :thumbsup:
    the sentence is just given as an example of using the present progressive to talk about events that are in progress at the time of speaking on dictionary.cambridge.org
    I would like to know which one "she's pressing the button" means.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    This is why quoting context-free sentences from dictionaries is often unproductive. There is no way to know for sure which meaning the writer intended.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    the sentence is just given as an example of using the present progressive to talk about events that are in progress at the time of speaking
    In the example, it does not matter which meaning is taken - whatever is happening is happening while someone else is speaking.

In order to understand, context or an adverb is required:
    1. I can see that her finger is going up and down - She’s pressing the button but nothing is happening.
    2a. She’s pressing the button continuously but nothing is happening.
    -> one long press.
    2b She’s pressing the button continually but nothing is happening. -> many short presses.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Either she is holding the button down for a long time or she is pressing it repeatedly, each press for a short time. There is no way to know which is meant here.

Cross-posted.

Ludmiliya Ludskaya

Russian
    Thank you all a lot. Now I see that both meanings are possible and it requires more context to be clear. Moreover, I have learnt one more meaning (just joking).

< Previous | Next >