'She asked me to wait for her' into complex object

< Previous | Next >

Alex_cs_gsp

Russian & Ukrainian
She asked me to show her the letter.
She asked to be shown the letter.

Is it possible to transfom that sentence in the same way?

• Tazzler

American English
    Sorry, read too quickly.......

No, I don't think you can. I don't think it's grammatically incorrect per se, but it is very awkward and unlikely to be used by any native speaker.

Einstein

UK, English
    She asked me to show her the letter.
    She asked to be shown the letter.

With this transformation we are forming a passive from the indirect object (the direct object is the letter). This is common in English but not in other languages and is often difficult for foreign students to understand.

In "she asked me to wait for her", "me" is the indirect object and we could form a sentence like "I was asked to wait for her".
    However, I think your question refers to the second part of the sentence. This is not analogous to the first example because there is no direct object. The only transformation I can imagine is "She asked to be waited for", but it doesn't sound natural.

Loob

English UK
    <<Moderator Note.
    Please always state your question in the body of your post as well as indicating it in the title>>

The only transformation I can imagine is "She asked to be waited for", but it doesn't sound natural.
    I agree with Einstein that "She asked to be waited for" is a possible transformation. Unlike him, though, I'd say it does sound natural - to me anyway:).

Einstein

UK, English
    I agree with Einstein that "She asked to be waited for" is a possible transformation. Unlike him, though, I'd say it does sound natural - to me anyway:).
    Well, I won't say it's completely unnatural, but I'd be more likely to say "She asked us/them to wait for her".

< Previous | Next >